1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss UTV V plow on gravel?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by DIXIEDOG, Dec 3, 2014.

1. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a Boss V plow on my 825i Gator and when plowing my gravel drive the blade trips regularly when in float. Is this normal?

I also noticed there is a plastic(rubber?) block that goes under the bumper stop on the plow frame (part CHA13040) that seems to back out on my plow the two bolts that go through it seem loose to me. Is that normal?

The plow has worked decent and it looks like a heavy duty plow but I find it hard to believe I am getting the best performance it has to offer. A blade that trips all the time sucks...especially when it's a full trip not just an edge.:(

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have shoes on it?

3. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

No shoes on it, I've never needed shoes on any of my plows in the past. Even on my American Eagle UTV plows let alone any of my truck plows.

4. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Sell it to me :)

5. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

If I could get a Fisher to take it's place I would in a heartbeat.:nod:

6. maxwellp

Tighten up the trip Springs? Is the mount to high? The bump stop should not be loose.

7. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I have a fisher homesteader for your vxt

8. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

You need to install shoes on boss plows when doing gravel. If you just try and bump the plow up an inch or so it takes it out of float and when you come to any uneven area it will dig in and trip. Love our boss plows, hate them on gravel.

9. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

Um no I'm good. Now if Fisher makes a full hydro V that fits my Gator 825i side by side I'll most likely be putting this Boss up for sale....I prefer Fisher but about any V beats a straight plow.

10. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

Measures 17" which is to the book. The trip springs are already tight to slip a card through.

11. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

pics of what your talking about?

also what is the plow attack angle can you get it to sit\angle back some more?

also is your gravel frozen down yet or is it soft and the plow is digging into soft ground causing the trip?

just some idea's off the hip for youl

12. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Book? does the book know your situation, or is the book a reference to "start" from?

Common sense would help here...

TIGHTEN the trip spring!!!:yow!:

PUT SHOES on for GRAVEL....:yow!:

13. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

I may be able to get it to sit back further, not sure how to adjust the tilt of the blade.

The gravel right now is frozen...it's done it on frozen ground as well as the soft stuff.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend...it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home....gotta love the short days.

Sure common sense would help....I asked a question about whether or not anyone else with the Boss UTV plow had a problem with the blade folding over all the time....not sure why that is so crazy.:confused:

I may have to put shoes on but if I do it would be the first plow I've ever had to use shoes on and I've had a good deal of them including plows for my old RTV and the Gator as well as a host of them on various truck. I'm not sure I fully understand how the Boss should be adjusted for tilt, I thought it might be an adjustment I needed to tweak to get better performance from this plow. I've seen quite a few Boss plows on Gators and RTVs so I'm assuming they work well for some folks.

14. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

I got a few pics of the blow where it sits today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red arrow is pointing to the small rubber block that goes under the bump stop....I'm assuming I need to replace the rubber block and tighten the bolts up?
    [​IMG]

Does the tilt look right in these pics?

15. maxwellp

I would still say crank up that trip spring.
    Call BOSS and tell them what is going on - That setup is not the same as a truck.
    BOSS
    Phone: (800) 286-4155
    Email: sales@bossplow.com

16. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

I'll have to give them a call next week, I really can't imagine mine is setup right because although it works decent it's not leaps and bounds better than the $600 Eagle Plow it replaced performance wise. The Boss trips far more often than the Eagle did on the same Gator. I'm thinking the loose rubber block may be factor....it could be causing the plow to have some "easy" trip to start and then the pressure can overcome the springs easy. I can just pull on the top of my plow by hand and trip the plow with it slightly in the air which to me seems odd. I did crank the springs today until I was pretty much as tight as it can get and it improved slightly but still tripped.

I haven't put shoes on yet, I've still got to find a set if I'm going to try them...personally I feel the shoes are a bad idea since there is only a place for shoes on the outside edges....that's just asking to tip the center nose down when plowing in the V position..$.02

17. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Page 9 of your manual states:
    "Note: Plow shoes are optional.
    If added they should be mounted flush with the bottom of the cutting edge when the plow i smounted on the vehicle.
    When plowing on a solid level area (parking lots, roads, and driveways) plow shoes can be raised up to increase cutting edge contact on the plowed surface.
    When plowing dirt, gravel, or grass plow shoes should be lowered below the cutting edge surface to prevent the plow from digging into the plowed surface."

Also from the trouble shooting pages of your manual:
    "15. Blade trips too easily. Check trip spring adjustment. Tighten springs. Replace springs if permanently deformed or damaged."

18. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I can't help with your trip stuff any more than my previous post.

I just want to say is that is one sweet looking setup!!

just 1 question is there down force on the blade and did you old eagle plow have down force as well or was it free floating just wondering if the down force is making it trip a lot by having the pressure pushing down?

does it pull over easy when lifted?

from the pics my guess would be in need to be \\\ angled back some more though.

19. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

This doesn't have down force...the Eagle plow didn't either. That is as in hydraulic down force but the Boss blade does weigh 400 lb vs the Eagle weighing less than 1/2 that.

It does pull over somewhat easy when lifted, I can pull it forward with modest pressure I'm guessing maybe 50 lbs???

20. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Junior Member
    from Maine

I called customer service and they believe it's most likely bad springs from the get go....the CS guy mentioned they had another set do the same thing last year. That would be awesome as it's a quick and easy repair that will hopefully prevent me from having to run shoes. If you're plowing someone else's drive for profit shoes are fine because you won't be dealing with the ice created from leaving 1/2 of snow behind everytime you plow.....on your own drive it's nice to clear it.