1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Truck Mount possibly cracked?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Fjtort2, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

1 Year old BOSS DXT Mount to '15 2500HD
    Here are a few photos... Does this looked cracked to you guys?
    The crack appears on the passenger side of the mount.
    This started to form a week ago.. Not many snow events here and lost my BIG commercial account so the blade/mount has very little time on it. Other than that I LOVE the DXT.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

2. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

It does look like a crack. Take it to the dealer & have them replace . Hopefully your under warranty ?

3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I think I would start by grinding the paint off there and taking a look at the metal. If you have time, drop the whole center beam down and out for a better look.

Or since its a year old take it back to the dealer.

4. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Yes, I should be under warranty still.. I think it was 2 years. Just one FULL year on it now:)

5. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Yes the Boss Warranty is two years. You should be all set.

6. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Hmmm no one else noticed its 2 holes down??? Might be the cause of the crack as boss only recommends 1 hole below the side plates..

7. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Dealer installed it

8. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

The whole piece looks stressed to me. I can see where the welded areas are through the paint all the way around. The load of the plow and bouncing up and down going down the road is fatigueing the welded area which is probably causing the paint to flake/chip off. If its not cracked yet it will enentually. With the way those barakets are bolted up its not hellping.

9. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Have you checked all the torques on the bolts to make sure nothing is slightly loose?

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That's not his job to do. If it's under warranty and the dealer installed it incorrectly, let the dealer make it right.

11. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Thanks for all the feedback fella's! The Truck and mount go in tomorrow morning. I'll post the outcome. Hopefully they stand behind it!?
    When I get a new mount installed I'll put it up a notch. One hole up? Is there anything I need to do to the plow it self? Make any adjustments to the blade?
    THANKS!

12. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

I have never had a plow installed by a dealer. Always have done my own. So, I am gonna ask this out of curiosity not to start a fight. Do the dealers re-check bolt torques for free 1yr after an install? Cause BOSS reccomends re-checking bolt torques.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  13. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Cool, let us know how you make out.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm positive that 99% of them don't, unless you specifically tell them to. And even then, I'd watch them to see if they do it. I trust plow dealers about as much as I trust car dealership mechanics.

15. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Every boss dealer ive talked to plus the other guys on here agree on the 1 hole down.. Id ask them and see what they say.. I believe it depends on the boss dealer.. I know if I asked the dealer where I got mine if they werent swamped they would do it.. They are very nice to deal with and treated me well! Now my closest boss dealer Im sure wouldnt do it.. When I was calling for prices they treated me like I was asking them to jump through hoops for me.. Was pretty rude and knew right away I was gonna drive the 40miles vs the 10miles to spend my money elsewhere.

16. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Dealer said its not a crack. I'm going to lower the mount and search for other evidence. Not to happy

17. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Surprising it looks to be a powder coat crack. Just some paint;) lowered mount. Looks pretty good. Headed to the hardware store for more bolts. And raise it up a hole. Any adjustments needed to the blade itself?

18. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  19. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

FYI, all the PDF documents for mounting that plow to your truck are on Boss's website. You should stroll through them sometime just to be familar with everything. Its free.

20. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

The further away from the magical 15.5", the more difficult mounting and unmounting the plow becomes. It also changes the attack angle of the blade which can increase wear and/or reduce performance.