1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Trip-Edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by riplower, Dec 16, 2008.

1. riplower

riplower Junior Member

Been using the striahgt balde 7'-6" boss...looking into the 8'-0" trip edge. It seems to be a good idea so the whole blade doesnt loose the load. Wondering if anyone has been using it or not and what they thought?? Thanks for any input.
  2. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I have an 8' Boss trip edge on my Super Duty. I do not have one complaint with the plow. I've never been a really big fan of a full trip plow with the snow conditions we get here in New Brunswick. If you do a search you will find a thread comparing full trip- trip edge, that might be worth looking at to help your decision.

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I do and will always run a trip edge plow. I see youre in RI and probably dealt with the same crappy heavy sleet/ice/snow mixes that we got in CT last year. the guys running full trips would have their plow laying down 75% of the time. when i say laying down, i mean fully tripped forward. the stuff we've been getting has been way too heavy and the only way to get through it is with a trip edge. i had to go over people's routes last year after they were done because their full trip wasnt scraping anything. The guys in other places who get pure snow probably dont understand where im coming from, but for southern new england i would compare our storms similar to pushing cement thats just at the point of setting up. i wouldnt think twice of buying the tripedge, thats my opinion.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You drinking again Dave? j/k A properly setup full trip will scrape just as well as a trip edge. I've had both and actually think a full trip scrapes better. JMO:drinkup:
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

We have two trip-edges, and one full moldboard trip. Only word of advice, and I didn't learn it until I had the money invested, if you plow properties with curbs, I would get a full moldboard trip. 99% of our properties utilize full curbing throughout the drives and parking areas. The problem is the curbs are just a touch taller than the trip-edge, therefore, the plow doesn't trip, it just stops against the curb. It is not fun.
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I like the trip edge style...JMO! but yeah keep'em drinks comin! lol :waving:

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My friend allways ran Fisher plows until he bought his Boss trip edge in 2005 and he loves it. He said he would never get a diferent plow.
  8. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I always ran fisher before this boss trip. So I cant tell you about a full trip plow, but this new boss trip is awesome. A great plow.

9. riplower

riplower Junior Member

thanks guys! think I'm going to go for it....keep ya posted
  10. 06HD BOSS

yes Dave i am :drinkup: but that doesnt influence my opinion lol. i totally understand what youre saying. both blades will scrape just as good in a regular snow event. where the tripedge has an advantage is in the storms we've been getting lately...the best way to describe it is like cement right at the point before it sets. its the heaviest, most dense crap imaginable, 10x worse than a heavy slushy snow you guys might get. a full trip with the springs fully adjusted plus an extra spring wont hesitate to flop, and stay down for the entire push. oh well time to go crack another beer . . .
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So Enzo can't even use his new blade then?
  12. 06HD BOSS

he can try, but he'll be calling me to bail him out :cool: lol im not saying a full trip is useless, but trip edge blades clean the sh**y storms better.
    Dave you clown...always looking for a debate :jester:
  13. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

I have a western MVP which is a trip edge the only thing i dont like about it is there is no shockes on the edge so when it comes back it is a little violent and also then like to jump off the ground