1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Trip Edge V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Hegartydirtwork, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I have been talking to quite a few people lately about theyre plows and it theyre seems to be quite a few people that would switch to Boss if they built a trip edge v. So I guess I am curious why they dont?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Do a search on this. There has been multiple people that have talked about this.

3. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Boss likes to make things simple...less moving parts=less to go wrong

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

except the wing spring is different from the trip spring, the lift hose is different from the angle hose.

Ive broken MORE springs on my Boss plow in 3 years than I EVER broke on my fishers in 21 years

I think Boss doesent because of the cost $$

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you are breaking that many springs they are probably to tight. Your supposed to be able to slid a piece of paper between the coils when the sping is put on. I've only ever broke at most 3 in 1 year. And that was in about. Weeks time. But its was bitter cold and in negative temps.

6. Hegartydirtwork

I dont want this to turn into a back and forth about fisher and boss and thinking about it, there are probably people that would use fisher if they were full trip or trip moldboard. I dont see a big savings in parts with trip blade over trip edge just curious I will search for those other threads.

7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Its an interesting thread and ;The moment that Boss; builds a trip edge plow they will start to take up another slice of the pie from DD..................... and the sooner they get away from springs and into double throw rams to return the blade they will be on the home streach. Their advertising dept leaves Fishers way behind; and this year they have some very cleaver ads out. They have come an awful long way in the last 10 years; and it will be very interesting to see how they proceed in the future.
    Remember as DD took over Western Plow they imeadiately started changing around to a trip edge from a full tilt boogie....... even though there is a strong following of folks on here that like full tilt plows there is still a huge portion of the plowing community that doesnt want one at all................ if Boss wants to expand into that market they will need to explore that deminsion . Their dealer system is very good and their advertising: IMO is the best out there. They are most certainly the most "up and coming" compitition that DD Industrys has on the horizon . And like AT&T the DD people are NOT paying attention to bussiness; when it comes to dealing with the public; as they have compleatly shielded themselves now and there is really no way to get ahold of them directly on a phone call.
    25 years ago you could have called down to Rockland and the "old fella" would practically have come over to the shop, in the middle of the nite; to get you a part if you were broke down .................. now it would probably be easyer to find Jimmy Hoffia than someone at the factory to speak to you ................. ????

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

hmmm pretty sure the lift and angle hoses are different on the Fisher??? And yes I am sure cost has a factor....but they sell the plows cheaper....so????

9. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I used to plow with an old Western Pro Plow and then I got to play with my friends 8'-2" Power V one afteroon and I was sold. I am not sold on the trip edge on a plow compared to a full trip mold board but they are all I have known and never failed us on all the plows we have owned over the years. But I am also a little biased considering BOSS is made in our town.

The other thing to remember is that they all have there individual pros and cons to them.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

The lift hose and angle hose are different lengths, same fittings, so I can stock and carry I hose for the fisher.

the lift hoses have a different end than the angle hoses for the boss. Need to carry hose and adapter.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD

So you have broken 3 Boss springs in 1 year, to my 0 for the fisher in 20 years.

Sorry for hijacking this thread

Why cant 1 plow manufacturer use all the best ideas? Many of the patents are over.

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I like the spring return on my V. Less wear and tear on the electrical system. Not to mention being able to retract the wings while the blade is getting pulled up via SmartTouch is badass.

12. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

X2, timesaver.

13. Hegartydirtwork

Fishervman- I couldnt agree more the Boss dealers that I have talked to can give you tons of reasons why Boss is superior to Fisher or DD, the Fisher dealers I talk to tell you to buy a Fisher because its a Fisher.

I dont know much about building plows but I would like to see a trip edge v with spring returns on the wings imo that would be the best thing going.

14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea I am not sure exactly what is going on with all this or what Boss has for a game plan to break into this NE market; where Fisher has certainly dominated it for years. But they are obviously very interested in it! I really dont know enough about Red plows; to comment on them at all; but it is interesting that you guys that have them certainly say lots of good things about them.
    We have had Yellow Plows for 35 years; so I think it is like a Chevy guy ,not liking a Ford, sorta thing. It's what ever your used to ????? Like Yooper75 says I am probably leaning towards our locally made stuff same as he does .
    Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  15. theplowmeister

from MA

I have a Boss V and a Fisher strait

I dont like the spring return If you want to angle the plow a Little bit you HAVE to go back and adjust the returning wing the plow will NOT angle evenly. Its fine if your going to the stop s when angeling but if you want to angle less than a full angle.....

also angeling while pushing snow results in 1 wing going ALL the way back (with a BANG) just about instantly. maybe you guys plowing Wally word dont care. I plow driveways and those problems are a big issue for me. in the next year or two I'm going to replace the Boss with a Meyer Just because of those issues. O ya the Meyer is a trip edge.

My 2 Cents having used both a Fisher and a Boss

16. Hegartydirtwork

Those are good points also plowmeister I am in the same boat,plowing only residential drives with my straight fisher. It is nice to be able to angle just a little without much effort.I am going to be replacing my truck at some point in the near future and upgrading to a v, the Boss dealer support is much stronger in my area than Fisher thats why I am thinking of the change, but not to a trip blade v its just not for me. Maybe a straight Boss will have to do?

17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

They're already working on that.

http://www.thebossswitch.com/

18. theplowmeister

from MA

Go with the V there great for driveways. Why no full blade V trip if you will go with a straight full blade trip?

19. Hegartydirtwork

I meant a straight trip edge Boss

20. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Are U kidding me!!!!!!!!!