1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss TGS 600 Help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by blackjack219, Jan 3, 2010.

1. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

This is my first year with the tgs 600. I run bagged mag and I'm happy with it so far, easy on/off and the only problem is find the right setting for the flow,(get out of the truck, open the two wing nuts so there is just enough to drop on the spinner, get in the truck and flip it on) is this something that i just have to play with or am i doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone has any tips
    Thanks in advance

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I run rock salt and open mine all the way open and have figured out what speed mine spreads well at, its probably not a fine of material as you are using but you just have to play with it and find what both you and the spreader like....

3. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

thanks for the help, the mag i run is very small, do you think i could mix rock salt with it maybe 50/50??

4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Yes I have done it and works great I put 2bgs rock to 1 bag mag and do it 2 times so I have 6bags of peoduct in there.

5. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

Thanks I will give it a try, how open do you leave the spreader

6. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I open it all the way up n run my speed at 6-9 while doing large parking lots.

7. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

Thanks for your help

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I got the 800 lb unit. I run 3 different types of material through mine. 1) coarse treated rock 2) Fine treated rock (consistency of mag) and 3) peladow

I have found that a half inch open from closed is perfect for 2 and 3 but I have to close it up when I'm done or it leaks out.

Rock salt is the best. Open all the way leave it open.

That being said I wouldn't mix products. I wonder, Why are you using straight mag?

9. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

I got a good deal on the mag but i am still trying to find a material that works good with my spreader, with the fine mag that i run it is either pouring out or it is too closed and nothing will drop on the spinner, do you have a vibrator on you unit, thanks for the help

10. lawnproslawncar

Haven't needed on. A good light couple taps with a rubber mallet in the truck is good enough. I would look into a treated rock salt product and go with that. Use the mag for walks.

Larger rock works better with hard-packed surfaces it will penetrate the snow and create a brine under the pack which can be peeled away.

11. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

thanks again what brand do you use, i know i probably won't have the same stuff in ct but i could get something similar, and the rubber mallet is a lot cheaper than the vibrator

12. lawnproslawncar

I use Reinders Meteor Melt with is treated rock salt.

We also use some Great White stuff that John Deere Landscapes sells. I have very mixed feelings about it though, very high residue when dry. It doesn't seem to track though. We watch for that very closely!

13. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

Thanks again, i'm going to John Deere on friday morning to look at what they got

14. lawnproslawncar

I will add that the great white is not worth a dam when it comes to getting through hard pack