1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss tailgate spreaders? do they swing?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Does the 1100 model swing out so i can put the tailgate down and get salt or the snow blower out of the back of the truck? I see most models do this but ive never seen one of these in person yet. :cool:

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Not sure which one the 1100 is but mine holds 800# and does NOT swing - it uses an electric moter to lift it's self on and off the truck.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

No they dont swing, But they do come on and off easily. If I remember right you can't open a pivot spreader full of salt!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

damn, so none of them swing out? How do you guys get the equipment such as a snowblower out of the back if the that 800lb + sucker is sitting in the way of the tailgate?

Its not that i need the snowthrower for all commercial work, but if i finish commercial work then go over to residential homes, how am i to get the thing out of the way to unload the 260lb snow thrower? What brands swing out or move easily? This is something that i would have to be able to move out of the way in say 30 seconds or less, not a whole 6 minute detate/re attach process. It has to be meant to move out of the way:eek:

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Some do swing out, just not full of salt - Maybe Meyers or snow ex, I know I've seen them. My Boss is on and off in a few minutes, empty or full. The only problem I've had is wiring, the thing eats connectors (or I don't shield them enough).

6. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Buyers Spreaders...

Was at Angelos-supplies.com looking at marking stakes and found the buyers spreader listed at $799. Am not advocating it, but remembered your question. I am sure if you call them they may have someone knowledgeable who can answer your question. Same for a BOSS dealer. My dealer said an 1100 Series installed would be about 1800-1900 greenbacks. That sounds pretty good from what I've been reading but I am new to this whole thing and stocking salt, spreading it, billing for it, and paying for the spreader and salt are right now I think beyond my capabilities. Good luck.

7. DaySpring Services

That is one complaint I have. Especially my vibrator connector. Sometimes I have to get out and give it a wiggle to get it to turn on. Im thinking about going to a 7way trailer harness next year. That'd make it nice and easy...one plug.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

so do any of you guys ever use snow throwers while on route? This would seem to be a major inconvenience for me not having it. Having to hand shovel only. And then when i jump to my residential homes, ill have to drive all the way back to my house to unload the spreader and load up the snowthrower :/

9. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Snow-ex, Myer, Buyer, and Western all have swing away tailgate spreaders. Before I got my v-box I looked into them, and I was quoted around 2000, for the spreader and the swing away feature.

10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I think you'll find most contractors will have a "crew" of shovelers. Blowers have there place for sure, but three guys with shovels can go circles around blowers on 95% of our nites. Also, it seems that most around here will use a Toro single stage blower, they're light and will haul the mail as fast as you can run. I have a walk behind like yours, I don't think it was started all last year - it's just too inconvient to load/unload.....

The wiring for the Boss stuff - I've been thru their waterproof connector, one heavy duty two prong battery like connector and then finally the trailer seven pin, which really worked the best other than finding a place to mount the truck side connector - just bought the original style waterproof connectors and will lengthen the harness and try to keep the connection up outa the spray....

11. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

12. DaySpring Services

heres the pics you wanted.

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00519.JPG

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  13. crj129

crj129 Junior Member

As already stated the boss 1100 doesn't swing but it is a breeze at on and off. We usually have our blowers in our second truck that doesn't have a spreader but we have also hauled it in our truck with the boss spreader. It is a little slower to do the on off than a swing but you can still do it out on your route. The other inconvienience we have with the 1100 spreader is that we have a cap on the truck and it cannot be opened more than a shovels space without taking the spreader off. I wish we could loose the cap for the winter's but our primary business is rental apartments so all of our tools are under there and the spreader is only on there as we need it for snow not everyday. That's why we went with boss because it can be put on and off no problem fully loaded by 1 guy in about 30 seconds. Hope this helps.

14. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have been involved with the Boss spreader and can tell you that it is a pain in the butt to use compared to the SnowEx swing way spreaders. When you are in a hurry with the SnowEx you flip two latches, swing it to the side, open your tailgate and slide in a pallet of de-icer. With the Boss it takes about 5 times longer with a lot of headaches ! Just my opinion and 33 years of plowing knowledge. I currently own 2 SnowEx 1075 spreaders !

15. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

There is the RT3 mount as a option.

16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I slightly disagree with snowguy - The Swing type spreaders can't be swung out when loaded, they have to be empty, the boss will go on and off even when it's full BUT the Boss has that extra component that could fail, the $370 electric motor that raises and lowers the spreader.

It really isn't that hard to get the spreader empty though and not having the extra part to fail is probably worth it in this business. Hindsite is worth $370...................