1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MRUSSELL, Dec 17, 2008.

1. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

i have a brand new boss 600 lbs tailgate soreader this thing has to be the biggest piece of s**t i have ever had it alwalys james up in the hopper i called bass and they told me to buy a vibrator $500.00 for that this spreader is brand new and i only use bagged dry salt someone please help me with this problem before i run it over

2. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

I have the same one, I run bag and bulk through mine but I have learned that you put the salt in you need at the job and and empty it there. Don't drive around with salt in the hopper as it packs it in there. Since I run bulk through mine I have a Buyers 80lb vibrator I paid 250ish for and it works like a dream. I was able to run bagged ice melt through it before the vibrator with no problems.

3. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

i don't put salt in it till i need it and when i am done at an account it's ususlly empty it,s so bad that i have to stop the truck and get out and shake the spreader then i can spread salt for a little bit until it does it again it's very frustrating! i use ice-a-way salt from na salt i just dont know what to do and i will be pissed off badly if i need to buy a vibrator for it .

4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I have one and agree that you must keep it empty. I have had problems running larger dark rock salt through it. I now use a finer dirty salt as well as the occasional clean fine salt. What I call dirty salt is #1 rock salt pre mixed with grit. You must keep your supply dry though.

5. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

How far open are your shutter doors? I have mine pretty far open, maybe that makes a difference too. I understand not wanting to put more money into something that was suppose to work but let me tell you how nice the vibrator is now that I have it. I have even left salt in the hopper and with the vibrator it comes out no problem. The buyers 80lb vibrator sells for 250ish and is a super easy install.

6. Indy-South

Indy-South Junior Member

We run the larger boss tailgate, roughly 750# capacity, on one of the trucks. So far this year, put down over 6 pallets and no major issues. The one problem that I have noticed is that I have to turn the spinner by hand to get around the overload flash if it's been driven very far with much salt in it. So far a simple quarter turn has taken care of it.

7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

No shutter on the one I have. just the auger that pulls the material down to the spinner.

8. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

at the base of the auger where it sends the salt to the spinner don't you have two wingnuts that operate two shutters for adjusting the amount out?? Mine does

9. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

Well i ordered a buyers #80 vibrator for this pile of junk so hopefully after its installed it will work like it should . i will keep all informed

10. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

if that don't work you wanna get rid of it?

11. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

if that dont work i will definately like to get rid of it. i have had several spreaders over the years and NEVER had an issue like this. definately very frustrating to say the least

12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Any update?