1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss straight or v on 2008 F250 diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rv4jesus, Feb 4, 2011.

1. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

If you just had this one truck for driveways and small commercial jobs would you put a straight blade on it or a v?

I'd like the control of the v but I'm concerned about the lack of a trip edge and the additional 70 lbs of the v since according to Ford I shouldn't be putting a plow on this truck at all.

Boss 8' is 698 lbs, v is 770
    Front GAWR is 5600 lbs and they didn't offer a plow prep package on the 08 diesel since the engine is so heavy.

Any help is appreciated, I'm looking at getting the plow ASAP.
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not true. You can get a snow plow prep package for that truck with the 6.4L. Get the 6k rated springs and you can run a V no problems.
  3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I wouldn't sweat the weight issue. Both plows will weigh more than that fully dressed--like 900#, easy.

I'm a straight blade kinda guy, but V's have their advantages in certain situations (like driveways). If I were to buy a plow, it would be an expandable, probably a Wide Out, because I like Western's mount best.
  4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Like the other said, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. An F250 will take it just fine. If need be but a nice leveling kit on it and call it a day.
    As far as straight vs. V-plow, I would weigh out what you will be using it for. Will you need to clean isles during the day/business hours? How much snow do you typically see per season/event? Is the cost difference worth it to you? It seems like whenever someone buys a straight blade the first thing they do is try finding a set of wings or box ends for it. IMO a V is a better choice if you can justify the money. If it snows a metric sh!t ton or there is a big drift you can V it and blast through it, if you are clearing isles you can scoop it all, clean up with a V is much faster and easier as well. A V will also stack higher, not much but definitely higher.

Are you set on Boss? If not look into the Hinker Scoop or Western Wideout type plows (expandable wing type)
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. eric35_scotts

eric35_scotts Junior Member

Personally I would stick with a v-plow because depending how busy ur area is or if u have friends that plow ur local or area businesses, well let's just say its better to be prepared and the v will be a really good way to do so... Just my input from a few years of experience with both styles