1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss straight blade tripping ALL the time

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by polarplowing, Jan 24, 2006.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I have a 7'6 Boss straight blade (Standard duty) full moldboard trip, and I have the trip springs tightened all the way and I have the shock absorber installed. My blade keeps tripping over the littlest things, like 6"-8" of soft snow, I can't even push a quarter of a blades width of snow on hard packed gravel with the shoes on (3/4" lower than the cutting edge) and the blade riding 1" off of the ground. On concrete I can push a little over a half blade width without tripping the blade with the shoes on. My last plowing tonite I had to plow the lot with the blade halfway tripped over. :realmad: I am very frustrated:realmad: , my dealer says that everything is normal. The truck mount is as low as it can go, but the blade angle is still pretty steep. My only thought is to weld another tab on blade and put another spring on it, but hate the idea of having to modify a two year old blade. (it should work fine the way it is, shouldn't it??) ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE AWESOME!! :help: Thanks for you info.

RYAN

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Have the same plow.....mine trips alot but not that much. I'm thinkin the mount is set too high and it's at an awkward angle. BTW, does the shock absorber really make that much difference? :confused:

3. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Just a question are you in float position, red on the hand control? I have a new super duty and the only time it wants to trip is when the blade corner digs into the sod.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Are your trip springs properly tightened?

Get a business card.

Fold it in half.

Tighten each spring until you can just push this folded card between the spread coils of the spring.

Ditch your shoes.

Make sure your truck side mount is at the proper height.

5. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

I TOO HAVE A 2005 SUPER DUTY BOSS AND I HAD THAT PROBLEM AT FIRST .I TIGHTENED THE TRIP SPRINGS AND ALSO THEY TOLD ME TO CHECK THE SHOCK AND MAKESURE IT WAS NOT UPSIDE DOWN .SINCE THEN I HAVE NOT HAD ANY TRIP PROBLEMS .OUR LAST STORM WAS 12 " OF REAL HEAVY MY WESTERN DID NOTHING BUT TRIP AND THE BOSS ROCKED IT SO TRY THIS AND SEE ..payup payup

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

OK..OK.....stop screaming! (your Caps Lock is stuck on?)

7. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

sorry i feel better now !!!!!~lol~

8. ClaytonR

ClaytonR Member

yes

yes the shock absorber makes a HUGE difference...get it ASAP!! you will love it...no more hard back snaps that make your truck flinch in pain...hahahha :bluebounc

9. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

boss tripping

I have the springs as tight as possible, the mount is sitting at 18" and boss recommends 15 1/2" but the mount is as low as it can get already. I have 30" tires on it, and it is a 1/2 ton truck with old 3/4 ton springs up front. It only sits 1/2" taller than it did with the 1/2 springs. My dealer wants to charge me $400 to modify the mount, but I think that is B.S. How do guys with 3/4 ton trucks make it work?? My truck still sits lower than a 3/4 ton but is still at too extreme of an angle to work right. I considered putting little tiny tires on it, but to get 2" lower I'd need to put 26" tires on it, but then I would lose alot of ground clearance. I have no idea what to do, except get different truck...
    ...any suggestions, or has anyone else had this problem??
    Thanks.

10. brookview

brookview Junior Member

i had the same problem with our 7-6 did not think the shock would help that much. but it was night and day

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well, this mount height issue is obviously your problem with tripping.

If nothing is different from a 3/4T, maybe BOSS makes a 3/4T specific mount for that year truck. Does your truck sit nose high, with the rear squatting? Most Suburbans did this. Just get your rear springs re-arched or put an add-a-leaf in to bring the back end up. This will lower your front mount height.

In any event, you need to get down to that 15 1/2" height one way or another. BOSS's are very picky when it comes to mount height. Much more so on their V's, but still very important on their straights.

Can you snap any pictures of your mount, truck, plow etc?

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

My truck says "diesel fuel only" but since there was only gas at the gas station, I figured, shoot, it'll work, it's all fuel, they can't be THAT picky.

Why does the dealer want me to spend $4,000 to fix my engine?? It it really worth it??

Get your mount down to 15 1/2".

13. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Is this a dealer install ? If you raised the truck up 1/2", you are at 16'' should be all right. If you changed the height more then that or a self install its time to visit a good welding shop. they should be able to fix you up.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  15. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

The truck mount is at 18" or so, the dealer wants to weld extention plates to the top of the mount to lower it. They want to charge $400 to weld plates on to the mount.

I did come to a conclusion, and that is to put an add a leaf in the rear(for now) to hopefully lower the front by raising the rear, and that should get my mount height down to around 16-17" and that may work for the time being.

Then this summer I will just take the mount off and weld plates to it myself and keep the $400, I guess for now I will put up with it for this winter. Thanks to everyone who helped resolve and offer ideas on this issue.

RYAN

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I just don't understand that if your at the bottom holes on the frame mount that your STILL 2.5" too high?

I would call BOSS and make sure you have the correct mount for that application. With the tires your running, you shouldn't be that high.

Do you have a picture of this truck you could post?

By running it this high, your going to be wearing your cutting edge pretty good. It will be smiling before long.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sorry about the troll comment. Haven't heard from you. :waving:
    The whole thing just sounds wrong. I don't get it eather??? Don't let them weld any thing :nono: ..
    I think TLS is on to something. Could you have the wrong mount?

18. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I talked to my dealer and they said that Boss doesn't make a different 3/4 mount, just a 1/2 ton mount that is supposed to work on 3/4 tons also. But I called Boss HDQTRS and they told me that they don't make a 1/2 ton mount, just a 3/4 tom mount, and they don't recommend mounting to a 1/2 suburban at all. So from that info. I came to the conclusion that there is only one mount, the one that is on my truck "should" work on all 1/2 and 3/4 ton chevy trucks from those years, according to Boss. The dealership ran the part number and they said that it is correct.

I will throw some pictures up on this site tonight, the pics I have now are way too big (1.9 MB) Thanks again for your help.

RYAN

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Some pics would be nice. Your truck and plow combination is very common.

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

3/4 and 1/2 Ton GM's of that era all had the same front frames. Ride height was relatively the same as well.

The Suburbans were known for the rear suspension sagging though.

If you cant resize the pics, just let me know and I'll do it for you.