1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Standard Duty Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by marioazcats/nh, Jan 14, 2010.

1. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

I would like to know if anyone has experience/thoughts on the Boss standard duty plow. i have a GMC Sierra, 2005, 1/2 ton and I plow my own rental properties, mostly gravel, about 16 properties. I had a Fisher before and had a good experience, but just curious how a full trip blade does compared to the Fisher. I am in New Hampshire. ussmileyflagussmileyflag

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Welcome to PS
    I haven't run a Fisher, but I do have a Boss on a half ton and I am pretty sure you will like the Boss.........Was your Fisher a trip edge?

Indy

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Fisher only makes trip edges

4. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I prefer a full trip blade over a trip edge. I was plowing on gravel one time and a stone got cought in the trip edge. That was fun trying to get it out.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I had that happen, lift blade, push up against a curb and it pops out, may need to help it with a stick or screwdriver, but once you widen the gap it's wedged in it's not a big deal, I prefer trip edge plows, I like the way they perform on hardpack I really hate how full trip blades stay down in certain situations and don't see them any differeent than a full trip in other plowing conditions. Besides I'm a V guy, so it's the only choice...........

6. marioazcats/nh

Yes my Fisher was a trip edge! So I'm concerned because the Boss is a full trip. Everyone around here has Fishers. Does it trip easy and do you lose the load? As the Fisher dealer claims! I'm trying to decide which plow to go with!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I have a Western 7' 6" poly full trip now, and on my poly, I notice that it does sometimes trip, especially when you have some real icy snow. That said, I like it, it saves my truck suspension. Only way I would get a trip edge is if it came standard on a plow, like the MVP+.

8. DScapes

DScapes Member

I'm running a BOSS Standard Duty 7.6" and I absolutely love it on my 02' GMC Sierra 2500HD. I've run a Western 7.6" super duty, I don't like the slow hydrolics and the overall weight of the plow.

I ran both plows on 3/4ton GMC and a Chevy and I prefer the standard in my area (Columbus ohio) for the light amount of snows we get.

I never once tripped the super duty besides curbs and stacking, but I did notice my standard tripping quite a few times during the last "wet" 5" storm we had here

however, in saying that, the trip would keep the load and I'd just have to back off and hit at a slower rate to gain some momentum on pure blacktop, never lost a load or created a pack I couldn't get through

the speed and power of the hydrolics on the BOSS plows are unreal, although i've only used Western to compare them too, the double click up/down(float) features are nice too

if you're planning on pushing wet snow over 5-6" on more than one occasion, i'd recommend the super duty, but the standard is by no means any less quality, just lighter..

i've never used a trip blade, but couldn't see myself ever getting used to one after having experience with full trips

9. marioazcats/nh

Seeing that we get quite a bit of snow in New Hampshire sometimes wet and heavy, I am leaning towards the Fisher!! I would buy a Boss if they had a Standard trip edge( their super duty trip edge is not rated for my truck:mad:.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That doesn't mean you can't add timberns, and some ballast to your truck. Your truck would handle the 7'6" super duty trip edge just fine. Heck if you wanted to, you could add 3/4ton t-bars just to be safe.