1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss standard duty plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by geist262, Nov 18, 2014.

1. geist262

geist262 Member

Hey guys, I am looking to put a boss standard duty plow on a 2011 silverado 1500. I have a regular cab long box with 5.3L engine. The plow selector says it will be ok on the short box but not the long box. Are they just being conservative or what? Any advice would be great. Thanks. BTW the boss Sd is 590 ish plus mount. The meyer super vld is 582 plus mount and is recommended.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. geist262

geist262 Member

It also has the "snow plow prep pkg" if you could call it that. I wish I never bought a regular cab just for plowing. No cab room and poor selection of plows for it.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Your truck will handle it fine. Just turn up the torsion bars, and possibly add Timbrens.

4. geist262

geist262 Member

No torsion bars but it has a 2.5 inch leveling kit installed up front.

5. JustJeff

Okay. Your truck will handle that plow fine, just add some counterweight against your tailgate and you'll be good to go.

6. geist262

geist262 Member

boss claims I need to have 824 pounds of ballast for the 8 foot box. The 6.5 box only requires 608 or something. that just sounds excessive, but I have no idea

7. geist262

geist262 Member

if my 8 foot box ass is so much heavier, why do I need more?

8. JustJeff

I truly don't have an answer for you. I'm not sure how the engineers factor counterweight. I wouldn't be that worried about the exact number though. Before I had my spreader in I would throw 700 lbs of tube sand in the back and call it a day.

9. geist262

geist262 Member

Thanks for the help. I tried pulling the answer out of the tech, but he couldn't tell me. I saw a guy with a dodge 1500 with a 5.7 quad cab put one on his truck with 600 pounds of ballast. His gwvr is somewhat lower and it was fine. Its not commercial plowing either. I have a rather long driveway and may take short trips with it mounted. Anyway, thanks for the help.

10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I thought all GM 4x4s had torsion bars. Learn something new every day.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. geist262

geist262 Member

Yep, they took them out of the half tons probably to get better gas milage or improve the ride. Next truck is a 3/4 ton.