1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss standard Duty 7.6 On Dodge 1500?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NDSCAR85, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

I have a Dodge 2006 1500, quad cab, 5.7 hemi...can this truck hold up and perform good with the given 600 pounds of plow weight..I am looking for any options of plows I am also looking at the fisher sd... I know boss is better but the weight might be a problem?? thanks

2. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

i installed a 8.0 steel superduty on a 2005 1500 with a hemi.... Put a set of timbrens up front & no problems !!!

3. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

Really... I have had just about every dealer tell me no standard duty on my dodge.. but i have seen one or two around..I just don't want the plow to beat up my truck and sag like a Bit**....

4. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Yeah, they told me the same. Just don't drive it like you stole it and you will be fine. My Dodge keeps up with the guys and their 50K plow trucks...:) Just take it easy. Mine is a 2004 with torsion bars, I put in Timbrens and cranked the bars a little and good to go. You have coil springs and you can fins an application for your truck..:) Here is a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

5. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

here is another one with the plow up. I run about 600# of ballast in the back. Make sure you do the same, really helps on the front end of your truck. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

6. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

Your the man i have been looking forever for pics of a dodge like mine with a boss on it.. looks pretty good..I do have coil overs i am wondering if i put the standard duty on there with ballast in the rear...I just don;t want to be fiddling with the suspension to much.. You think i would be alright with just ballast in the rear...if not can u put Timbrens on a coil over suspension...THANKS

7. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

Also do the Timbrens affect your ride quality at all.... thanks

8. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Thanks for the complement..:)

You might be able to get a 2 in. lift for the coils and then put your Timbrens in. What they do is they stop the suspension from bottoming out with the plow on. That is what I was told by my BOSS dealer. The only thing I notice on ride is that if I hit a good bump the front end does not travel down as far. Made the front suspension on mine much stiffer. I also have HD Monroe Reflexx shocks installed, that helped out the IFS.

All in all I have had the plow for 3 years and have had no problems what so ever. I do not drive around with the plow on unless I am using it. Alot of guys around here will drive around with their plows on to look cool.......very hard on the front end even on a HD truck.

post some pics after you get it done....:) Check on that 2in.lift and see if that won't help out on your clearance. It should be fairly easy to install. I have a 2008 RAM also and I looked at it and it looks like a suspension lift would not be that hard to install with the right tools and help...:)

Hang in there, there are a lot of guys on here that know there stuff. they can be a lot of help.

ttyl,
    Curt

9. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Sorry, I rambled on. I guess I should answer your questions. Yes you can put Timbrens on your truck and you might be ok with alot of ballast with out raising the front end but I would not chance that. They had to crank my torsion bars to raise my front end about 2 in. With the Timbrens in, there is about 3/4 in. gap between the Timbren and where in comes in contact with the lower A arm.

10. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I had a Meyer 7.5 STL on my '07 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi. That thing plowed like a champ and I never had any problems with the extra weight. Just to be safe - put a couple of sand bags in the back against the tail gate for a little balast weight. I didn't run timbrens and the front didn't squat too much.

11. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

could you post some pictures of where you have your plow lift controls are located inside your cab. . .thank you very much

12. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

1550 Dodge Ram

I have the same truck in a 5.9l 2002 Quad Cab, white, I am putting a SD Fisher 7.6 on it currently and will be finsihing the wiring, I can't believe I finally found someone with basically the same set up Cannot wait to see the others!

13. nogo8188

nogo8188 Junior Member

Does anyone know if you can actually get a dealer to install a plow like the ones listed here? I have an 06 Ram 1500 similar to the white one posted here. I'd love to have something a little bit more rugged than the homesteader, which is all that Fisher seems to want on these trucks. I plan to only plow my driveway with it, and maybe some friends. I wouldn't have the plow on the truck unless I was actually using it. I'd take the advice of everyone here and install it myself as it seems really thought out, but I don't know enough about plows to do it myself. any thoughts?

14. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

You woudl have to find someone that will install something that the manufacturer does not recommend, even though it is tried and true to do it.
    Best to call and ask

15. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

16. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

they actually said that the Meyer drive pro was way too small for my truck and that's all Meyer recommends

17. DJC

DJC Senior Member

My dealer just installed my 7'6 superduty on my F150 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

plow3.jpg

18. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

nice
    you need load stabilizers?

19. DJC

DJC Senior Member

All he did was turn the torsion bars up a little bit ( 3 turns I think). I asked him if i should do anything else and he said it will be fine just like that.

20. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

look at my last 1500 with a boss, a few turns on the T-bars and I was all set, much rather have a 3/4 ton but.......good luck