1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NEHawaiian, Nov 30, 2005.

1. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

Hey guys, I am in the market for a tailgate sander. Been looking at the Speedcaster 2 from fisher as well as the Boss Spreader. Each has its pros and cons. I am leaning to the Boss Spreader but kind of weary. I know it is not a two stage system but I like the fact that it is easy to take on or off. I guess my question is has any one put sand /salt mix in the boss tailgate spreaders?

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Do a asearch, There are some bad comments about the Boss. You don't want to put sand/salt in the Boss. The Speedcaster 2 is well liked here, or the Western Pro-Flo 2. Unless you are using bagged salt only, stay with the 2 stage.

3. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

You MUST have either a 2-stage or a 1-stage with a vibrator if you want to run ANYTHING but dry bagged salt.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

NE, I just bought two of the BOSS spreaders and used them both onetime, one took a sh*t on me. Apparently BOSS is having problems with the actuators in them. My wouldn't come off the truck, their is a screw drive that raises and lowers them on and off your truck, well there is nothing to tell the drive to stop going up other than some ratching sound you hear. Well my screw drive was so tight that it won't release, so we literally had to remove the hitch to get it off.

My dealer as of yesterday said BOSS won't send him a new one with the supposid fix, he must replace the actuator on mine, I said BS, it's all banged up from trying to remove just the bad part, so........to sum it up, I'd wait on the BOSS, the design is pretty cool but they aren't reliable right now.

Just my .02 cents worth.