1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Spreaders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bob-cat, Dec 23, 2010.

1. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

I see alot of people talking about the others, buyers, snow ex, ect. What about the the boss's any good or what.

Im asking couse the dealer i bought my plow has been great and has all the bells n whistles like 24hr repairs and such. there is another dealer close were they carry buyers saltdoggs but would rather just keep same dealer if the boss's are worth it.

So thoughts?

Thanks

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

you talking about terrys by any chance

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the big 1100 model hitch mount Boss spreader, and love it. My only complaint about it is, I have to stand on my bumper to load it cause it sits so high.

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Just put the salt in the bed at the beginning. of the day.

I think the spreaders are rather expensive but I beleive they have some type of smart hitch like their plows. Not sure tho.

5. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we just installed a new one today...second electric hitch one we've ever installed. allready have a customer set-up to buy the other one we have in stock. they seem pretty cool but i cant comment other then they are a simple install and worked well in testing. but the old one a guy has he loves it! its going on 4 years old i think?

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Dont buy the one with the electric smart hitch. I went through 3 (covered by warranty). The third doesn't work anymore either. I talked to the dealer Boss discontinued them because of the problem. I took the actuator off and use a floor jack to get it on and off. I'm not about to replace it a $600. Other than that I'm pretty happy with mine after 4 seasons.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I never had the smart hitch option. I look at it this way. I only put salt it in when I am ready to spread salt on the lot. I empty it before I leave the lot. I can pick it up and put it on myself, and take it off myself. Forget about the smart hitch option, save that money, and put it back in your pocket.

8. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

I have the 1100 and it works great, its very well built. The wiring harness is made of much thicker gauge wire than the saltdogg units. It also has inline fuses and a relay so your not taking the box apart and voiding the warranty like the buyers unit. My dealer sells Boss and Snowex, the mechanic said the Boss spreaders dont come back for service near as much as the Snowex. I have the RT3 hitch on mine and it works great (not the electric one). Its never clogged and it runs every bit of salt out with no vibrater. My only complaint is the bag cutter doesnt work very well but if you forget a knife its a good backup.

9. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Agree! I have 2 of them, the 1st one I bought when they first came out. NO problems for the 1st couple years then had problems with the lift actuator. Boss won't sell just the motor, and I'm not paying to replace the entire shaft either. I converted one to a hitch mount and works great. I have had controller issues with both of them but they are 6 and 7 years old now too. Overall, better then any tailgate spreader I've owned. Key is though, clean it regularly and use Fluid Film! Both my spreaders look better then most spreaders 1 year old cause guys don't take care of them.

10. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

Dont know that one, EverBrite over in North Jackson is who im talking about.

11. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

Ok so stay away from the smart hitch but other then that i take its a decent/good spreader. Thanks

12. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

You cant even buy the electric one anymore unless its old stock but the manual RT3 hitch works great.

13. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

Yeah the one i was looking at was new stock, they just had there order come in from factory, they didnt have any 800 but 1100 and 600 they had was looking at the 1100 couse the price diff between the two wasnt all that much of a jump

14. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

Boss discontinued the Smart Hitch so it could not have been new stock. They only make the RT3 and the slide in.

15. bayfish

bayfish Junior Member

What is "fluid film"?

16. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Check out the Fluid Film forum. You can get a free sample if you desire. I did and now am hooked on it. Threw out the WD40.

17. skeleton2135

skeleton2135 Junior Member
    from 419

Had a Buyers and wasn't impressed. Bought a new Boss this year, very impressed. Love the way it spreads and feeds. No problems at all. Don't care for the bag splitter-I don't use it. But it would work, so would your teeth though. It could be left off.

18. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

My Boss doesnt go thru the salt nearly as fast as my salt dogg. Not sure why it is but the boss sure does spread a better pattern also !!!

Boss 100% better !!

19. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I have a TGS600. I rebuilt it this year after 4 seasons. Powder coat was shot, despite regular cleaning and touchup. Generally the unit is well built. The drive however is expensive and I had issues with the aluminum gearbox rotting and the gears binding up. I've never seen anything that says you should service the grease, but apparently you must if you do not want to replace it. Logical I guess had I known it was not direct drive. Otherwise I have been very happy with it. I will not buy another Boss product though as the dealer support here is absolutely horrible.

20. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Agreed with the poor Boss service locally! Theyre products have been good to us, however with the lack of service available its tough to spend money on their products. We have some buyers products as well and have been very happy with them. Easy to service and repair. Couple slight over sights in production that could be changed and make the products better but overall I've had good things to say and have heard good things about buyers.