1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss sport dutys

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer said they dont even make a mount for my 91 old v8 f150... i know they do, just not for sport models.

now the sport says it has a standard rt3 hitch BUT optional smarthitch 2,

The other day i saw NEW sport duty 7 and 7'6" poly plows, they look like the same exact hitch mount up on the plow side as my normal heavy duty boss plows we run, just all the metal is thinner gauge.. If i got the smart2 then it should work fine right?

Says your not supposed to run a plow on that model truck, but im looking for a way to make it a backup for our per 2-4" push accounts, light duty boss plow, heaviest would be a 7'6" standard duty id even consider, but want something 100lbs lighter or better.

anyone have pictures of their sport dutys? you never see many of them and theyre almost identical in price at dealers to 7'6" steel superdutys

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The plows mount the same as any other boss RT3. The only thing different is the thickness of the steel on the hooks on the mount.. The sport duties will not mount up to the regular standard duty plow mounts. What you could do if you are handy with a welder, or know of a buddy with a welder, you could get a sport duty mount, and fab up a mount for your truck. If it was me, I would just spend the extra cash and get a 7'6'' standard duty straight blade. The sport duties are just to light duty in my opinion.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

So if they mount the same, why wont it mount on any other boss mount? they appear to be exactly the same, are the mount arms or something different widths? I did notice the metal of the frame part on the plow was a little thinner too.

I know theyre only in the 350-400lb range, any even 7'6 standard duty would be about 600 already, with enough ballast, the truck would probably be fine anyway, but figured id go easy on it.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you look at the hooks on the undercarriages for say a 7'6'' standard duty plow or any plow from 7'6'' standard duty to a 9'2'' vee, the hooks are pry 3/4 of a inch in thinkness on the mount. and the sport duty undercarriages are pry only 1/2 on a inch think. The heavy duty plows (10 footers) are I think 1 inch thick or so. Do this make sence? I can get a pic of what I am talking about too if you would like?.

5. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The mounts and towers have the same look, however the spring pins on the blade tower on a sport duty blade are smaller in diameter than the standard duty & super duty blades. If you have a vehicle with a sport duty undercarriage, the only BOSS plow you can hook-up to is a sport duty and vice versa with the standard/super duty blades.
    The wiring harnesses and SmartTouch controllers are the same for all.
    I would highly recommend buying the standard duty blade, especially if it is part of a fleet of blades then you always have the possibility of using it in the future on another vehicle or as a back-up blade for your exisiting trucks in case of a plow breakdown...