1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Sport Duty Wobble

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mortician79, Feb 1, 2010.

1. My plow is a little over a year old, private small lot plowing only.

When I am driving down the street with the plow raised, angled left, right or straight it has a wobble. I don't remember it doing that when it was new, could something be loose?

Thanks in advance!

2. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

mine does the same thing and its only been on the truck for a few months
  3. Seems odd. Especially when my 20 year old fisher that was on my old Chev (and mind you beat to s%^t) didn't do that.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wiggle it by hand with it raised while watching for any unusual looseness in the forward pivot bolt or the rear pivot pins. You may have something working its way out and if so you want to catch it before it becomes a major problem.
  5. Thanks, I'll have a look.
  6. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

My Vee has the wobble. I hope its nothing to worry about.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A little wobble is normal, a lot is not. This is where periodic maintenance checks come into play.

On the vee's specifically you need to check the forward horizontal pivot pin. Make sure the locknut isn't missing and that it's not excessively loose.
  8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Also on the V-blades check your vertical tower pin to make sure it isn't rising out of place, as if its 1" above it can cause lots of plow damage. 4 pins on a v-blade to check: Pivot pins, horizontal hinge pin, and the vertical tower pin...they all can cause a thousand dollars worth of damage!
  9. Québec

Québec Junior Member

....i have a Power V XT 9-2...of course she had this wobble when brand new...the horizontal hinge pin is 1 1/4 inch diameter...but the bushings in the tower are 1 5/16 inside diameter...so i had to bring my A frame and tower to a machine shop where they bored everything to the same size...made a new hinge pin a bit bigger ( that i can grease ) with a tolerance of about 4/1000 of an inch ( witch is filled with grease)..and voilà!...no more wobble!...but it's to bad they don't make them that way the first time...
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They don't because some side to side play is beneficial to clean scraping on uneven ground. Edge life is kept in regards as well.
  11. pyro29

pyro29 Member

The BOSS Sport Duty will do that, it's just not heavy enough to keep itself stabilized. We've used extra washers, from the plow shoes, to shim up between the angle cylinders / plow side mount and also between the A Frame and the pivot. This has seemed to help out allot. The wobble is not detrimental, just annoying...
  12. cobrien19

cobrien19 Junior Member

B&B do you happen to have a picture of the forward pivot bolt and the rear pivot pins I'm new to the BOSS clan and I like to check those on mine. Mine also seems to have a bit of wobble. Does adding the washers help that much, should you add the washers to both the top and bottom of the angle cylinders or just one