1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss spings, Replacement?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowzer, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Plowzer

Plowzer Junior Member

Boss springs, Replacement?

Where can i find replacement springs for Boss plows? The return springs on my plows keep breaking. They are about $35 from the dealer. Northern tool lists some for other plows but not a Boss. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2002
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am not sure where to find them but a bigger question may be why are they breaking? Something seems to be out or broken if the springs are breaking.
  3. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

You really need to find out why you are breaking Boss springs. I have seven 8'2"s and two 10' Boss Power Vees and in seven years have only broken two wing return springs and zero trip springs. Better see what is breaking your springs.:confused:
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We have run into the same thing, we usually go through about one set between three V's a year. Never really was too concerned about it. Anyways, our fabricator had some springs tha he was selling for either Western or Meyer trip springs, just so happens they fit. And they are a whole bunch cheaper. Haven't had any this year yet.
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

They seem to break where they attach on the center support structure.

We've modified that contact point slightly to reduce the frequency of breaking.

We buy the out of a catologue. They do not need to fit presicely. The eye bolt has a lot of adjustment.
  6. Plowzer

Plowzer Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I have the V's and every year at least one breaks. This year, both broke on my truck. I'm just gettin' tired of spendin' $35 per spring thru my dealer. I can't see that there is any underlying cause of them breaking. I guess i'll order a couple that are similar to another brand for $10 and hope for the best. The trip springs have never broke. Heck, the Boss rarely trips anyhow. I think it's just use and abuse that kills 'em.:mad:
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would bet that you can adapt another spring to work. Just get the tension right. Still suprises me that they break. Post this on the Boss forum and see what they say about the breaking springs.