1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss snowplow questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by pipelayer, Feb 25, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

hey all, im looking into the boss plows to run on my truck next season. i am very familiar with fisher plows, i worked at a fisher dealer, installed plows, fixed plows, all that. but i would like to get into a full trip plow, and more importantly a V blade. im looking at used boss plows, and i know nothing about these blades whatsoever. the only thing i know is for a while boss has been doing what fisher has just been recently doing in regards to fishers fleetflex controls, wiring and mounting. my first question is does boss have generations like fisher does? like an equivalent to the mm1 mm2, speedcaster all that? im lookig into rt3 plows, rv2? and a vxt plow, do the mounts between the truck and the plow differ? can i get new mounts and new wiring? or does that differ through the years as well, (in the same sense as fishers 2 plug 3 plug then new style 2 plug) and as far as the controllers go, i heard you can only operate one side of the vee at a time (not from the western/fisher ad) but then others are telling me you can scoop and retract both, can you do that with the older v blades? bear with me here im in the dark about these and will do some research as i have time, just getting started on learning about these, and would like to know as much as possible, thanks in advance.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your over thinking this ,go buy and love it!

3. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

im buying used thats the only thing here lol

4. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

You never know how hard someone else pushed their equipment. There are a few generations, but I wouldn't advise buying used plows.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9' v for sale on long island

All rt3 mounts are the same, all the wiring is the same unless its really old. I love the boss smarthitch system and the controller is great too. Absolutely no complaints just dont want it in my garage this summer

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

All rt3 plows use the same mount. Try for a 13 pin wiring harness. A 13 will also run an 11 pin system. I've run boss for the last 15 years,and really like them.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can change 11 pin to 13 pin if needed. Need headlight adapters and a controller. The harness will work with v or straight just need controller.

To the person that said don't buy used. Why?

Plows are simple. $6k for a new plow is getting steep

8. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

we have 11 9.2 power vees they will move both sides together if you press 2 buttons at the same time ie if you press both buttons at the same time with your thumb on the left side of the controller it will angle left if you press both buttons at the top it will scoop ect. I looked at a western comparison video the other day and they showed that you had to press two different buttons to angle left or right (good to be objective lol ) As alldayrj said they are all interchangeable unless really old look for cracking at the lover hinges on the blade halves at the middle hinge on the center section and the A frame inside the angles main power wires can be a problem at the connection as well as the 13 pin connector will often have bent pins Also if you do buy 1 when you install it get a new solenoid but dont buy the boss 1 they want $50 the new style fisher 1 is $18 and exactly the same (same patent num and almost identical part num) when they stick on they will fry the motor $500-$600 from boss $125 from local electric motor shop you will find that boss parts are seriously over priced The newer ones will lift or float automatically when you double click the up or down button The power v and the vxt are the same plow with different blades mounted There are some differences in the center sections the older ones have larger mounting bosses and bases on the inboard end of the angle rams. Only matters if you are rebuilding as the old centers are not available so you would have to machine or replace the rams We have done some improvements to ours gussets ect happy to answer any questions tks BB

9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

thanks alot real helpful. the rt3 mounting system is the same as the rt2? and the 11 pin harness is the old harness? can adapt to a 13 pin? but a 13 pin on the plow will work on an 11 pin on the truck?

10. alldayrj

Rt2 is different but there are hardly any of those floating around by us. 11 pin is old. You want 13 on the truck. My 13 on the truck will run the new v or old straight (which has 11)

11. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

so dont buy a used rt2? i should get new mounts and wiring from a dealer, which i will install myself, and itll run an rt3 used plow which i will probably end up getting, or a full trip straight blade.

12. alldayrj

No dont buy a rt2

I did my mount and wiring in a day. Sounds good

13. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

oh ya im confident i can do the mounts and wiring and all that, thanks for the info, now i know what to look for and about what im gonna be spending. whats the name of the mounting system btw?

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Power hitch

15. caseyniam3

caseyniam3 Junior Member
    from NASSAU

Hi I have a 1994 Dodge Ram with a Boss RT 2 strait blade on it have been taking good care of it for 5 years now. My problem I am having is yesterday I figure I get it ready for winter early this year, the plow don't work at all, I replaced the solenoid, drained the fluid replaced, cleaned the screens. All I hear is a clicking at the solenoid I just replaced, the wiring seems to be OK, I am assuming the plow starter motor is weak. I pulled off the unit and cleaned it up when I hook it to a battery the fluid does not shoot out, it just drools out can it be a bad motor, what else can I check? Also the motor hooked up to the battery I hear the motor just sounds dull should it be fast?

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Motor should sound/act like a starter motor on a car.

17. caseyniam3

caseyniam3 Junior Member
    from NASSAU

Thanks, all I know is it spins but don't sound like a starter motor, how to tell if it is the motor, or pump? Boss Plow R T 2 Type. Thanks

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is the motor out of the plow? Thought you said it was. Need to.test outta the plow

19. caseyniam3

caseyniam3 Junior Member
    from NASSAU

yes it is out of plow, how do I do a proper test

20. caseyniam3

caseyniam3 Junior Member
    from NASSAU

I pulled out the entire unit as one piece. I disconnected motor, and brushes are good seems be be in good condition, but that dont tell me much