1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss snowplow mounting system

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beaver2, Mar 12, 2005.

1. beaver2

beaver2 Member

Hey everybody
    i am considering a snowplow for my truck and have decided on a boss mainly because of the dealer.
    on the brochure that i have it says i can have an RT3 hitch system standard of a smarthitch2 system

does anybody know what the difference is

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

go with the smarthitch2 its a pretty slick mount setup. i thought it was pretty well stadard on all the pickup model boss's
  3. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Rt3 is standard with all boss plows. That is the name of the clevis or frame that mounts to the truck. Smarthitch 2 is an electrical option that allows a quick attach. Both very fast but you will save about 8 sec. with the smarthitch 2. All plows 7'6 and larger is what i reccomend for smarthitch 2.
    All superduty blades come standard with smarthitch 2
  4. selser420

selser420 Member

Putting a plow on doesn't get any easier than the smarthitch system!!! Anyone have or remember the original Boss setup with the lever and pin??? I hated wrestling with that thing!
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have the old system, it can be a real pain. I've found the key is to grease the sliders every time you take the blade off, then it slips right into place again. Also the height is critical, the parking 'foot' was missing on mine so I used a crank-up trailer jack, so much more convenient especially when the ground keeps thawing... :p

I usually don't take my blade off unless I need the truck for a trip longer than, say, 15 miles. If I can use my S15 I do, why take the big truck?
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

The smart hitch has got to be the easiest setup around. No complaints here. :cool: