1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss snow plow quality

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tigerx5, May 22, 2005.

1. tigerx5

tigerx5 Junior Member

A lot of people talk about their Meyer and Westerns mostly because thats what they are used to. If you do any research at all, and i'm not talking about other peoples opinion , you will find Boss is designed just a little bit better then any other brand. Do your home work , go to a distributor where you can put plows side by side. Most areas Boss is a better price. Compare parts prices too, I know hoses are half the price of Meyer hoses and twice the quality. Speaking of Meyer it will be interesting to see if they can even hold on to the #4 spot.

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Rich I think you have to pay to advertise as a dealer on this site. :rolleyes:

What research ( not opinion) have you done to come to this wonderful conclusion. Please post links so we can all judge this research.

I tend to disagree on many things about Boss, but this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions (they all stink).

Also you did not bring up Blizzard (used to own Boss) , a major player in the market now. Frankly there is no competition for them as there 810 is hands down the finest plow available for light trucks. This is all my opinion and many here will disagree. But it does boil down to making money, and Boss cannot compare in efficiency to this plow. I have run, and owned v blades and they are better then straight :) But they don't compare to an 810. so this coming season my western (awesome plow) is history and a Blizzard 810 will be on my truck.

3. tigerx5

tigerx5 Junior Member

Blizzard / Boss

I think you made a good choice going with the Blizzard 810 , after several years of set backs Blizzard has done a good job with it. I assume you are comparing it to a Boss vee plow, both plows share the same quality and the same creator, both plows have advantages & disadvantages, your not comparing apples to apples. The 810 handles bulk snow more effeciantly. The vee plow is more monuverable and better in smaller lots and around parked cars. Don't get me wrong , everybodys opinion is worth listening to, but listen then see for yourself. Popular opinion is not always right. 20 years ago if you didn't own a Meyer people thought you were cheap. Times change , today there is so much more to pick from.
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

tigerx5 the boss straight blades are great plows but there v plows are hands down the worst snowplow on the market today they are unable to trip unless the brade is straight and that isnot what they are made for. i have seen probably about 10 over the last 4 years that people have ripped the pin right off the center.
  5. tigerx5

tigerx5 Junior Member

Boss vee plow

I am not a big fan of vee plows , I too have seen boss plows with broken pins like you discribe. Boss makes a good vee plow but vee plows in general see a lot more abuse then a regular plow since impact is confined to one side and not distributed throughout the whole blade like a straight plow and all vees are difficult to trip in certain positions. Through the years many vee plows have come and gone , do you remember the western tri-plow? or the original Diamond vee plow, we wont even mention Meyers vee. Boss is the only one that has stood the test of time, the center pin is the weak point but if they beef it up any more the whats next? If you hit something hard enough somethings going to give. Western plows in the same situation bend at the "A" frame and/or plow mount. Western also had a history of bending the truck frame. Like I said somethings gotta give.
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

owe i believe the hole boss v plow is a bad design the only v's that work is a trip edge were the edge that is truck can fold back i dont care for any diamond or meyer so no need to compare.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Rich your beating a dead horse here on v blades, do a search.
    As far as straight blades go I agree Boss makes a nice straight blade. But if any plow has stood the test of time, I think a Western straight wins hands down. I could not guess how many have been sold but I would bet next weeks lunch money that Boss is lucky to be at 5% of westerns blades sold. I have not personally run a Boss straight, seen them at the dealer. Look nice but so did Deloreans lol.

I also think there may be a couple more Fishers floating around then Boss.
    You also failed to mention SnoWay V's great plows also.

Now as far as the Blizzard 810 being compared to a V , no that is not what I was stateing. Hands down this plow (810) smokes "ALL" light truck plows period, from containment to windrowing it wins :) I owned a Western v, great plow,actually triped without bending my frame and moved alot of snow.
    It worked good in and around cars but so does my 8' western straight. The Blizzard is 8' wide too not extended so I guess if you plow betwwen parked cars all day long I dont see the advantage for occasional once in a while scooping betwwen cars.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Rich, your first post on this issue is referring to design. So if you want to talk best design, Todd is correct, the Blizzard is THE plow to beat. The design of the Blizzard is superior to a v-plow because it is more versatile for 99% of the work that most members here do. Not many people need to plow through deep drifts or deep snow on a regular basis that makes a v-plow the better design. The only member I can think of that really needs a v is nsmilligan, up in Nova Scotia.

Tight parking lot? Give me a Blizzard any and every day of the week.

You want to talk about how strong a plow is? The Blizzard is the strongest plow for light trucks that I have seen. That's part of why it is so heavy.

I have owned and operated most of the plows out there--Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss, Blizzard and even Polar plows (which were worse than Meyers). I have 1 Blizzard now and will have at least 3 by next season. The most productive plow I have seen, cuts 30-50% off a v-plow's time.
  9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Where are you buying your plows at? I'm on the east side of the state and will be looking into buyind a 810 for my 2005 Chevy 3/4 HD. The dealers around here put them on fords mostly. I would like to find a dealer that has done some Chevy install's. The price I got over here was around 5000.00 installed. That seems a bit high from what I hear from other guys who have bought Blizzards.

Thanks Mike

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I did compare side by side. Western had a 2 year warranty and boss just had a 1 year. Boss was 4 grand for an 8' super, basically a pro plow and the western was 3300. I can have my ultra mount hooked on in a matter of seconds, with the quick hitch it takes some experience trying to line the pins up. I do like boss's high output lights and wish western would follow suit.
    Last edited: May 24, 2005
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mike, check your PM's.
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Thanks Mark
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Everyone knows my opinion on this subject. If you don't, do a search you'll find my posts... no point in rehashing anything.

I like my Boss V-plow so much, I just bought a second one! If it lasts half as long as the first one has (and is still going strong) then it is an unbeatable value.

The Blizzard is more comparable to a box blade than anything else. Thats what many farmers have been using for years!! :p As good as they may be, until I see more dealers around (the closest one to me is almost three hours away) I sure ain't buying one. The Boss/Western dealer is literally five minutes from the house.

Other than a few wear shoes, cutting edges, and wing-return springs, I haven't had to replace a damn thing, so I hardly ever see them. I actually drop in just to visit every now and then so they don't forget I'm a customer!
  14. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

The Boss super duty 71/2 I just bought has a 2 year warranty and faster hydraulic system.
  15. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i have a boss superduty straight blade. since the day i bought it, i've said i wouldn't buy a plow from another manufacturer because they are so fast. however i see the effectiveness of the blizzards and i was just wondering how they compare in speed to the boss?
  16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I swear by Boss.....enough said.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

So do I.

There are still no Blizzard dealers around here to even try one out or have a look. There must be a dealer in Toronto somewhere, as I have seen one Blizzard plow in person, and it was driving on the 401.
  18. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

they are alot slower than the boss or westerns.
  19. snoking

snoking Senior Member

oh boy!!....I dont know where to begin,..every meyer, western, fischer plow i have ever seen is bent somewhere.....never the same spot. I have a former partner in snowplowing that lived by meyer. All i herd was meyer this and meyer that. All i can say, is, we had and an hmp-10(poly 10' meyer) should be bi and bad....whatever...I put it next to a 7.5' meyer...and it was the same design. Same A frame same pockets and pins, same undercarige. Dont care if you love meyer thats fine....but going from a 7.5' to a 10' there should be noticable beef there .....ya know??

All I can is look at an hmp-10 next to a 10' boss straingt blade, as I did when your down laughing and cleared the tears from your eyes....youll see the diference....not to mention chaines suck too
  20. Mark Oomkes

snoking, I can show you 3 Boss' that are bent in the same spot on all 3. They make a decent straight blade, no doubt about it and their hydraulics can't be beat.

Come on over, I have 2 Fisher V's that are not bent. 1 has 3 seasons, the other has 2 seasons. Our other Fisher is bent because we found a curb the hard way, but it kept on working, just hung crooked until it got straightened out.

Lorentz, are you asking about hydraulic speed or production? Hydraulic speed, Boss is fastest of any plow I have seen other than central hydraulics. Production, the only thing that will outperform a Blizzard is a loader with a Daniels or box plow. Or a skidsteer with a Blizzard.