1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss snow foil problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JCPM, Nov 7, 2009.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Does anyone else have a problem with the center flap of their rubber snow foil ripping off on a Boss V? I'v had 4 flaps rip off of my 8'2 V. My 9'2 is still the origional. I use both trucks equally and neither is really abused so I can't figure out why this is happening so much.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's usually due to it being stretched too tight during the install. They need a fair amount of upward "slack" in them to allow them to flex enough when the wings are in all positions.

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Yeah, I get that with mine - I've tried repositioning it and using larger washers, but I have not yet been successful in preventing it from ripping off again. Actually have to go fiddle with that again tonight.

4. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

My plow is new and I havn't used it yet.
    But I have repositioned the flap 3 times already to try and give it enough slack because I could tell right away it was going to be a headache.
    I even made up a piece that bolts under the bolt holding the center pin in to allow it to be a couple inches closer to the front of the blade.
    It still pinches between the wings every once and awhile when I am playing with it.

I think the strip of metal I used was 1.25" wide and 1.5" long. I tapped a 1/4 - 20 whole in it to screw the flap in and drilled a hole big enough for the center bolt to go thru.
    It helped take the stress off of the flap - I just need to figure out what to do to stop it from pinching the flap every once and awhile.
    I can post a picture if anyone is interested in trying it.

5. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I've replaced it three times, adding slack and larger washers each time. I just can't figure out why I'm having such trouble with this one and not my 9ft.

6. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Here is what I did. Hopefully it will keep it from tearing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]