1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS smarthitch II help!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kevinl, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Kevinl

Kevinl Junior Member

I jsut bought a F250 with the BOSS smarthitch II, trying to put it back on, the smarthitch switch does not work, but I can not manually push the light frame up in the normal position! Evrything else seems ok, the plow can swing either way, just can not push up to connect the pins! Any suggestions?

2. Check all power going to all plugs

Is there power going to The switch does not work? May need to Check the wires on the switch power There? If so may need to replace the switch if there is power.
    If no power back track to the power place. Could be a short, Could be a bad plug, Could be a bad connection due to the weather. Has the battery in truck replaced? May have not hooked up all wires.

3. phammer1

phammer1 Junior Member

I'm ASSuming that you put the controller in FLOAT? Mine requires that to hook up, you switch the TRUCK/PLOW switch to PLOW, power on the remote control, press the DOWN arrow until the green backlite turns RED (float position) in order to activate the SmartHitch switch on the plow.

If you've already done that, then sorry, out of suggestions for ya!

Good luck, be safe.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you already have got the power on and in float,when you hit the switch,is the motor at least coming on but not raising the tower? Mine has been problematic lately also--if I toggle the switch up and down,the tower will eventually raise.The exact cause/root of your problem is best to be handled by B+B.

5. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree with phammer1, make sure the controller is in float.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you can't manually push the lift tower up to connect then it's either not in float or you have a poor connection at the bumper plug, because the lower/drop valve isn't open thus not allowing the fluid to escape from the lift cylinder, and thus not allowing the lift tower to be pushed up.

In fact, you can remove the SH toggle entirely and you can still manually attach/detach the plow...as long as the drop/lower valve is open. And for it to be open it has to be in float and the bumper connector plug has to be good.

tuney, yours probably just needs a fresh switch or the connector plug cleaned.

7. Kevinl

Kevinl Junior Member

Thanks all for the assistance, seems to be the plug on the truck! How can I get the Lower/drop valve to release so I can manually push up the tower?

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

B+B already explained it to you.

In fact, you can remove the SH toggle entirely and you can still manually attach/detach the plow...as long as the drop/lower valve is open. And for it to be open it has to be in float and the bumper connector plug has to be good

9. Kevinl

Kevinl Junior Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure what to do if my plug is defective, I'll give it a try tomorrow am....

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you just need to get it on the truck due to a dead pin in the bumper plug, pull the pump cover off and run a 12V jumper wire to the valve coils with the orange and the white wire, these are you lift and lower coils. Hot wiring these free's up the lift cylinder for manual movement. Then just push the lift tower up manually.

You can even run your jumpers right to the plow side bumper plug if you have the pin out diagram handy. Which now you do. :D

13-pin plug.jpg

13-pin chart.jpg