1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss smarthitch 2 III

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Feb 22, 2004.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

I have read the manual and see how to lower the plow faster but I do not see anything that will make it rise faster Am I missing something or is the boss plow just that slow?. I just got this plow a a few weelks ago with my new truck last night was the first time i used it, Just can't beleave it is that slow compared to my old western.

dsc_186.jpg

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

WOW!

Thats a first! Never heard speed complaints about a BOSS before.

They're one of the fastest in the industry.

I have a RapidTach II (early 90's) so Maybe they changed things, but I consider mine to be a good balance between fast and yet powerfull enough to lift and stack wet snow in the scoop position.

Make sure all your connections are cleaned. I clean my pos and neg cable attachments each year. If I forget, it kinda reminds me all by itself!

How many seconds to lift?

3. capital

capital Senior Member

If your boss plow is going up slowly then I suspect that the hy dro fluid is prob not set right. Take a look or go back to the dealer and ask them to check.

4. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I've got the same plow and it raises slightly faster than any of the Westerns we run. Does yours run the wings fast? Mine goes from V to scoop almost twice as fast as a Western.

5. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have to agree with Capital. Check the fluid level we had a similar prob with the westerns and the level was low. As for speed my 9.2 vee moves so fast it will shake the truck stop to stop...

6. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Can't really help on the plow, but that's one good looking rig you have...

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I second that motion! That is a good looking truck. That will be my next one when "The Big Red Drain " dies for the last time.
    Get it checked out, a slow lift sucks, can't stack very good if it takes days to lift to the top. Kinda throws off the rhyme if it lifts slow too.

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Sweet ride [​IMG] No problems with speed up or down here either. I agree, take it back if you feel it should be faster one way or another, let the dealer work out all the squeaks midas-well use them while you can :)

9. mole

mole Senior Member

my boss is a straight blade not a v. Im going to check the fluid today. since it's pretty warm out. Can you use transmission fluid in the boss like the westerns or do you have to use there fluid?. doesn't say in the manual. looks like tranny fluid.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'd use there stuff since it's brand new. [​IMG]

11. mole

mole Senior Member

my plow is not new. probably a year old. but I will go get there stuff. thanks. Just saw the inside of your truck in the pic sec. holy crap. nice job.

12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

thanks, alot of hard work but well worth it [​IMG]

13. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

There is a way to speed up or slow down the Hydro on the Boss. Call Boss tech support and they will walk you through it. I had one Boss V that was too fast. It took about 10 minutes to adjust and the Boss folks were very helpful.

14. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

timm9, Sounds like the slow down of your vee wasn't too complicated. do you remember what the adjustment was?

15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mine raises and lowers plenty fast enough.:nod:

16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

17. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Dluckett,
    It has been a while (two or three winters ago) since I did the adjustment. If you pull the plastic cover off the and expose the valve body you can see in the front where you can use an allen wrench to adjust the speed. If I'm not mistaken, in your owners manual it shows which direction etc. for the vertical and v functions. Sorry I'm not more specific, it has been a while. I would not hesitate to call Boss Tech Support. They were very helpful.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I may be mistaken, but isn't this to ONLY adjust DROP speed?

He has a SLOW up speed.

Has to be a valve sticking/leaking somewhere, don't you guys think?

19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You can only adjust the down speed on a Boss with the fitting. Mine is on the back so the cover doesn't have to come off.