1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Skid steer plow cutting edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nick858, Nov 25, 2010.

1. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just bought an 8 foot trip edge Boss. First Boss Ive owned. The tripedge part of the plow has holes in it, like a cutting edge should bolt to it. But in the manual, it says the cutting edge is optional. I havent heard of an optional cutting edge, but I cant imagine you just replace the trip edge part of the plow everytime it wears down?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know, my 8ft skid steer plow has the same thing. I think its B.S. but it is what it is. I thought I heard that BOSS wants you to wear down the trip edge a bit before you get a cutting edge. Thats not 100% though.

3. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So can you just bolt a standard 8 foot edge to it? It doesnt have much wear before it starts getting into the brackets that go back to the pins holding the tripedge together.

4. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

And what does that tripedge part cost to replace versus a cutting edge? If an edge is 150 bucks, thats got to be a 400 dollar piece.

5. Brian Young

Your probably right. I was just as surprised as you are. Every other plow Ive owned came with a cutting edge. Although my skid steer plow came with shoes???? Who uses shoes?

6. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So true! I thought I did some pretty good research and picked the Boss over Snow Wolf mainly due to availability in my area. But when I saw 'Cutting Edge-Optional' I thought different. Everything seems good on the plow, just cant imagine a plow with out a cutting edge.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The majority of trip edge plows regardless of brand or type do not include a cutting edge. Wear the base angle down a little and then add one just like you do with any other trip edge.

But with that said, yes a plow intended for SS use should include one. Sort of nonsensical IMO.

8. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I guess the Western trip edge V plows I have were demos so I dont know about coming with an edge. I just assumed they came with one. Thanks for the info.

9. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

It is up to the dealers how they want to offer it. Every skidsteer boss plow i quote out i always include the cutting edge. Makes it easy for the customer and myself. No customers coming back to me screaming wheres my cutting edge.

10. Brian Young

Why not just make it simple! Here's the price with cutting edge and leave out all the hidden fee's.

11. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Which is pretty much where Im at now! Why in the world you would sell a plow without a cutting edge is beyond me.