1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Shoes

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NSRoadEng, Nov 24, 2007.

1. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

I have a lot more gravel driveways this year - some with loose gravel. Also here in NS we get a lot of snow when the ground isn't frozen yet. Wondering if the shoes really make a difference on gravel and unfrozed ground.

2. i just got a boss plow . being a old timer i don't use shoes unl;ess i need to,i put mine on and i does help , also i take the weight off the plow when i drop to the ground , just lift up a little and when u plow don't go too fast as u don't want the ripple affect in the snow.then ya got speed bumps all winter.DO NOT MOVE YOUR PLOW UNDER WORK LOADS. being a bulldozer operator,i have a bad habit of using the snow blade like a dozer blade, i have paid dearly over the years for this bad habit. when you angle your plow , leave it there , DONOT SWING PLOW WHEN LOADED WITH SNOW,its just a little pump meant to work only the weight of the plow, it costs about $1000.00 for the misuse,i know , been there. i have used arctic plows forever , but i got a /99 and the boss is on it.i like it , the poly blade is a bonus,good luck , saftey first ,have fun , i remain gary snow

3. bstout

bstout Member

I have the Boss 7' 6" Sport Poly with the shoes. The shoes pick the blade up off the ground. In the case of the poly blade being lighter in weight than the steel the shoes allow me to align the blade square to the truck if I don't pull up to it correctly. This is worth a lot.

The shoes are worth having for numerous reasons.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You will NOT damage your Boss plow operating it with a snow load on it.

There is a bypass. it will let the fluid bypass and go back to the reservoir.
    You can not deadhead your pump unless you fiddle with the by-pass.

In my life time( started when I was 6 on a farm, I'm 46 now;)) of operating all kinds of equipment I have never damaged a pump or motor operating them with a load applied.
    How else would you get any work done?

Use your shoes until the ground freezes or use the bump-it-up method.
    Some cut a slit in a length of pipe so it will slip in to the cutting edge.
    So your plow rides on the pipe and not on the edge.

Back drag it until the ground freezes..

Just some examples of the options available to you.

5. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

I wonder if the surface area of the shoe is not wide enough to support the plow and thus the shoe would just dig into the gravel and leave a groove. Does the shoe surface have enough bearing to float on the loose gravel?
    (This is just my quirky engineering mind thinking here).
    I do find it a pain to play mr dozer to keep the blade up just a little. It was ok when I only had half a dozen driveways, but now that I picked up a small private subdivision with 2km of paved road and 40 drwys - half of which are gravel I need to be able to plow efficiently.

Thanks for all the help guys.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

farming

just bump the blade up till the ground freezes and you get a base built up ,.or you can dig some nice furrows till it freezes .

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I also use the bump up method. No shoes on my plow. I have several gravel driveways and one lot.

8. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

so by "bump it up" you mean use a pipe with a slit in it?
    How do you get it to stay on the cutting edge? just by friction?
    How long? the length of each wing?

9. "yard guards"

We call them Yard Guards

about a 2 inch pipe with a slit cut by a plazma cutter or a steel cutting
    blade in a circular saw ( that requires a gig).
    Then they weld plates over the ends about the 2 in width and about a foot
    long. cut a slit near the end of the plate for locating a bolt on each end
    of the plow frame.

The first is the hardest to make.
    I hope to take some pics of ours soon.
    I havent seen shoes on a plow in years.

We get so used to yard guards that I dont take them off until it is time to
    scrape the slush away.

They do wear out. The bottoms get thin. You can get more time by put some
    weld bead on the flat-wear. Do this slowly and switch ends or this thing will
    look like a banana.

These help alot when we have to plow off pavement to 'yards'.
    Many long gravel drives, too.
    And the plow rarely tips.

long reply-tc

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

11. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

so I called a machine shop and they said they could make me a set of guards for about $230. thats for 2" mild steel tubing 3/8" thick - 2 pcs cut 3' long each with 1/2" slits. the Boss dealer has the shoes for $70 each and I need 3 for my V plow which ends up costing $210. so I am leaning more towards the shoes - the tubing doesnt include a way fasten them on.

12. yrd guards $80otd

Up from $65 last year. This year they are painted and gave me new bolts.

Probably because they make so many of them.

I have never replaced the cutting bar and some years only use one
    yard guard.
    Do lots of gravel (probably half to 2/3 of our work) and only an occasional
    church parking lot.

Takes 15 min to take off or put on after the bolt holes are drilled (slotted
    on the yard guard)
    tc

13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

The "bump up" method means dropping the plow to the ground then taping the controller a couple times to get the blade about 1/2 to and inch off the ground. You'll be fine if you do this, it's what I've done whenever plowing gravel. Once the ground freezes you can drop the blade all the way.

14. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

Most of the drwys I have are not even and have ups and downs, so I end up playing dozer man with the controls.
    I found a friend that has a machine shop and he will make the tubes for around a hundred bucks - I dont think I can go wrong with that. I can always use them as driveway markers if they dont work out - ha ha.

15. you'll love it

Every time I felt I needed to take off the yard-guard,
    I couldnt wait to put it back on.

My blade doesnt dump over ( hate that --spills my coffee!)

And I dont have near the lawn damage.

I have a pair of unused shoes from my 7.5ft Boss poly (1998)
    with washers.

You pay the freight and you can have them.
    I'll never use them.
    tc