1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss shoe wear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

O.K guys, I was reading the poast about where to run the shoes on the blizzards and it brought up a question. I have a 9'2" Boss poly V. I have in the past burned off shoes during a day of plowing. It seems like if I let them touch the ground at all they're gone in nothing flat and all I have left is a stub. I resorted to running the wing shoes about an inch high and the center shoe about 1/2 " just to kind of support the center hoof. When my wife was running the pickup, if I didn't watch the blade ware in proportion to the shoe position really close I would have a shoe burned off just like that. I have replaced a couple of them. I can't remember the exact price but about $48 rings a bell. How do you guys do it? Do you just let them drag or what? I have even considered those roller shoes. Do they work? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

i have pulled all of my shoes off of all my boss plows...dont see a need for them at all

ive got about 7-8 of them
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The only thing plow shoes are good for is sinkers for fishing. :nod:
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i took those shoes off both pf my plows they leave marks when ur plowing
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I set the shoes to about 1/2" above the concrete so the expensive cutting blades aren't in contact with the ground... actually that is a side-effect, the main reason is that I do a lot of gravel lots as well as asphalt and this allows the blade to slide over without taking all the stone. Its setup as a happy medium so I don't have to add/remove them over and over.... yes it leaves a layer about 1/2" of snow behind, but it disappears when the sun comes out and I have yet to have anyone care.

Are you sure they are wearing through, and that you haven't caught them on the edge of a curb etc.? This tends to snap the disc portion off and the stubs will grind on the asphalt and look burned through. I usually wreck one or two shoes per year this way (only takes being off an inch when you are tired....) so I buy the cheap steel ones. The cast iron ones wear a lot longer but will break just as easy and cost twice as much. The center one is always cast iron they tell me....
  6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

yeah they are wearing through. I've caught them with about the upper 1/2" to 1" left and the rest is just burned off. I think that I am going to leave them at home and see what happens. I also blade some gravel lots but we wait until they are froze up hard before we attempt to just set the blade on them and go.
  7. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Just don't use them!
    I've tryed them on gravel drives,dirt etc. They just don't help.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I will bet you have been doing alot of wet/slushy parking lots. We go through about 3 sets of cast shoes on each plow every season. I prefer to run with shoes to help the cutting edges last longer and to help stop the blade from hitting manhole covers. On our Boss 9.2 V we have busted 3 cutting edges in 5 years from hitting manholes. Usually right at the center.
  9. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

for all of you guys that run shoes "on"....ive got about 7 brand new shoes laying around and would sell them cheap....seriously i have no use for them except one for a door stop but im sure i could find something else.
  10. CENLO

CENLO Member

For gravel lots, and uneven surfaces we just backblade for the first little bit until the ground freezes. After that it's no different than asphalt! I used to just raise the shoes so they didn't touch but I got sick of listening to them rattle, now I believe there in the dump!
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

CENLO, I have one gravel lot, for example, that is at least 500' x 200', probably more (never measured). Thats a lot of bagckdragging!!!! ;) We also have problems here that the ground doesn't stay frozen all winter, that it thaws several times per year and starts over. I still have to be careful, even with the shoes on. As for rattling, all I ever did was put my leftover shims on the backside of the shoe so it was tight to the frame, so they never rattled anymore.

Five Star, I don't know what they are worth to begin with. I know my local dealer sells them to me for $20 cash each, I'd be afraid that shipping it here would put them out of price range....