1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss self install

Discussion in 'Boss Plow Forum' started by Sno, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I bought a used Boss V plow ( 1 year old ) Installed it on my 2000 GMC myself.

First off, Being an Engineer for 20 or so years, I was really impressed with the enginnering of the chassis kit. It went together very nicely and instructions where very good. Impressive that it seemed you had all the bugs out of installing to a relatively new truck.

I do however have one minor problem. May be due to the used aspect of this install.

I bought the GM wirring harness kit. It all went together relativly easily and to the instructions.

Everything works except, when I turn the plow lights on the High beam indicator comes on in the truck. It also wont let me switch between high and low beam, seems to still work and not blow fuses, but still isnt right.

The main harness came with the plow and was on a Dodge truck if that makes any differance. It apears from all I have seen, these are used on all trucks and just the adapters are differant.

The main harness I have has two wires on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. I taped both OEM wires off and used the harnes and adapter to power the passenger side.

I double checked and checked again the hook up with the instructions and it appears correct.

The only strange thing is there is a harness that goes to the main harness, then the adapter harness goes into that, not sure why you use so many connectors and harnesses in this harness. (Both sides)

Could I have dodge harnesses mixed in there? all connections where correct to instructions though. ???

Again, fine engineering team, hope we can get this small bug worked out.

Oh, and if you need an Engineer addition for your team, Im currently laid off here in Northwest Ohio. :)

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not knowing Boss wiring but plow headlights in general I would bet that you tapped into the wrong lead to power the lights. Some vehicles require special kits for the lights because they are know negatively powered systems.

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Engineer

On your headlight adapter kit it states the Dodge plug goes oneway & the GM goes the otherway. Ckeck page 19 ideam #32 figure 28. I would bet that's where your problem is. :) If you need I'll fax you the page. Brent

4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Well, that may be the problem, but I did see that, and it made absolutely no sense because there was not one connector that I could find that plugged in two different ways.. Other then the headlight harness itself and that was the one that is marked 99+ 99-. Those I did connect the 99+ way.

Other than that, I thought that part of the directions must have been for an older or newer harness because I could not find that connection.

If you know where it is, (which connection) I'll take another look.

I could not find any connection that could be plugged in two ways other than the light harness itself. (the one marked 99+ 99-) I did however end up with an extra harness. It came with 4 and my main harness only has 3 connections.

From what I can tell, there where a couple different main harnesses over the years?

5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Ohio snow,
    Looking at your truck info, looks like same set up.

Did your main harness have 3 or 4 headlight wires?

6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sno

I hit the wrong key & started a new topic. Anyway it's under Sno. :(