1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss SD v. Western Pro

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Prof Touch L&L, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

OK just got back from the two dealers. Looking at 7 1/2' plow in these two makes and models. Any opinions? Mostly residential and hopefully a couple lots.

The Boss is ~ $375 more. Has the smart hitch, an 1/8" thicker cutting edge and 2 diagonal ribs. Are these extra features worth the $$$?

My 1st year plowing and need to get started as "inexpensively" as possible. :help:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Go Boss. Ease of mounting and dis-mounting. Paint quality is better too. JMO;)
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Do yourself a favor, go over to general Welding and fab. and get a Boss you'll be very happy. Im not only saying this because I love my Boss, but because they have the best service in our area. They're huge, always have tons of parts, and have 24 hour service during storms. Not too many Western dealers (or big ones) in our area.
  4. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Day Spring

I just bought my first Boss, 8'2". I Have been running a Western Pro with pro wings. How do you like the wings on the Boss V? Does it increase your productivity?!!! I have seven large commercial lots with 2 plows and a skid steer, so I am all about production. Thanks
  5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

get the Boss. I would.
  6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

im a western guy...always have...but the boss does have some nice things...by the way, what will this plow be going on...
  7. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

my head leans me towards the Boss, but my checkbook leans me towards the western. i also own a landscaping co and this year was terrible (for grass cutting that is) so i think i will end up going with the Western for this year and if i dont like it and can afford a Boss next year I will make the switch. thanks for the input guys.

this plow is going on my 04 silverado 2500 HD

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I went with whatever was on my 1st used truck I bought way back.

It was a Meyer and did itself proud teaching me how to plow.

I have had Western and Boss since.

My old Western could stack snow it seemed almost twice as high as the Boss does.

I love the hand touch control on my Boss and it is much easier to mount on the truck.

If I had a choice since both are solid plows it would be whoever had the closest service department that had parts in stock.

Although I have been lucky and only used what has been in the emergency repair box's myself you never know when you are going to need that part you don't have.

Last year was my 1st time needing a part I had to order. It was the front part on the hand controller. The one I had came apart after 9 years of use.

The Boss dealer here had to order it and I had to wait a week to get it. Pretty much making my plow useless the whole time. I was able to take a key and make contact inside the switch plowing like that took 20 x as long. Any part I have needed from them has had to be ordered as it is a welding shop that has a Boss distributorship as a way to sell parts I think because in 2 years dealing with them they have never even had a plow in stock.

But they can order you one.

The Boss dealer around here sucks unflavored sno-cone balls as far as I am concerned.
    The Western dealer(Adams Bros) stocks all sorts of stuff and are open pretty close to when the plow guys are out.

It all depends on taste I guess but if I buy new it will be from the Western dealer no matter how much I do like the Boss. When I need a part or hose or service or whatever i like to make sure they are going to provide it within a reasonable amount of time.