1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS salt spreder is a Piece Of Sh*t !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Eyesell, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well got the new BOSS salt spreader installed last week right, all excited to use it. Well guess what, I got to use it once when I really needed to use it a total of 4 times.

The damm thing is currently stuck on my truck, after the first use I went to remove it and the motor to dis-engage it just spins, bad part about this situation is the pin that secures it in place is not en ganged either so I can't put salt in it cause I'm afraid without the pin in place it will fall off. I had to salt my biggest accounts 2 additional times and had to pay someone else to do it for me.

Another point even when it did work, every time it ran out of salt and I re-filled it I had to get out of my truck and manually spin the wheel that the salt hits cause upon turning on the controller the "overload" light came on immediately. Once it started you could turn the thing on and off with no problem, but if it runs out plan on spinning the wheel your self the first time every time.

Last point, I had more salt on my bumper and the back of my truck than I spread on the friggen' parking lot, this damm thing was throwing salt against my tailgate, and to boot, my buddy has the same spreader with the same problems except the motor part, his will come off.

I can't believe that no one else has had any issues, as far as I'm concerned I'm puttin' my Fisher 1000 back on, kinda of old school but works and attempting to get my money back for the BOSS :cry:

Sorry about putting this in the wrong place, I'm listing it in Ice Management as well.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

that sucks eyesell. so far that is the only bad i have heard about the boss spreader but i dont think many have sold either. hope you are able to get things worked out. :)

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Went to the dealer yesterday, he said the Actuator and motor are both bad, he'll have to order a new one ( still can't get it off ) as far as the salt not coming out on the initial start up, he said that's cause the salt has moisture in it, and that most tailgate spreaders are experiencing the same problems this time of year. As soon as it gets colder the problem will go away, we'll see. As far the safety pin goes, he said it won't come loose ( the spreader itself ) cause the piece that dis-engages it is still engaged, and you could probably lift the back of the truck before the spreader would move, I'm not takin any chances though.

I guess my verdict is still out on this one.....:rolleyes:

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Still don't have problem fixed, BOSS won't support dealer, had to remove hitch to get salter off yesterday, as well as pay to have my lots done again this morning.....what a rip off BOSS !!!!!

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Eyesell: I'm sorry to hear about your problems but appreciate your sharing them with all of us. I was seriously thinking of getting a Boss spreader as I am very satisfied with my Boss plow. After your posts, I will NOT be getting a Boss spreader and will look around some more. Maybe a SnowEx?

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Chris,

I stop by my dealer everyday to see when they are going to take care of me, the latest yesterday was BOSS said when you turn the spreader one and it cycles 3 times from fast speed to slow speed you have a model with an updated actuator, if not it is potentially one that will give the same problem as mine, and their is no fix at this time.

If BOSS is a sponsor of this site you'd think they would read some of the threads in " BOSS Discussion " and contact some of us to resolve issues, otherwise they will lose business.

I think it's a good idea your interested in dealing with someone who will take your concerns in to consideration, I don't think BOSS will at this point. :(

7. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Is this a tailgate or insert?

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

It's a Tailgate spreader, I don't think BOSS makes a insert, do they ??

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Eyesell,

Sorry to hear of your problems. After all, I think I'm partially the reason you bought one.

I would rig a ratchet strap around the lower "foot" to make sure it stays UP.
    Parts can break. Linear actuators aren't exempt from this. They DO use a high quality unit though. Not like they're using cheapie actuators.

Something with your motor? I've never had mine "stall" out or overload. But 90% of the time, I fill up what I need, and spread till it's empty, then drive to next account. Rarely do I travel with the hopper full.

As far as the salt on the bumper....Yes, this spreader does leave some on the bumper. I still have to fabricate a rubber shield. But just a FYI,... the Buyers/Meyers did this at least TWICE as worse as the BOSS. So, I guess, I never really considered it an issue.

In any event, your still under warranty. Did you call BOSS directly? Everytime i've called them, they've helped me. I'd suggest giving them a call rather than rely on your post here getting back to them.

I don't mean for this to aggravate you, but I cant imagine a better spreader out there. I have used a few in my times, and seen a LOT of them. This is the Mercedes of salt spreaders.

Good Luck

Let us know how you make out.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

TLS,

Your probably right about contacting BOSS directly, I think my dealer doesn't have a good relationship with the BOSS guy that covers this area.

I guess my point is, since this is only 3 weeks old they should take it back 100% and supply me with a new one. I only used it one time and never traveled with salt in it. The dealer tried to pull the pin off that holds the screw drive in place but since there was so much tension on it it actually peened the pin, there is no override for this.

If there is a updated one available give it to me, it's not like we're talking about 10K worth of material, I just want satisfaction and feel I deserve it.

Take Care
    Frank