1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eyesell, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Has anyone purchased the new BOSS salt spreader. I was looking at this thing yesterday at the dealer near me, it fits into the receiver on your truck. Has a bunch of interesting features but the guy said he only installed 3 this year, he said they were tough to get. I looked on there web site to get you the info on it and it's not listed. Cost is $ 2000.00 installed.

Thanks for any input.

Frank

2. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

Same here, they do have a seperate brochure like the plow one. Looks great, plus i'm partial to brand loyalty so perhaps it will be my choice next year!

3. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

$1400 MORE AND YOU'VE GOT A FISHER FULL BED (8') SANDER,

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

another $799 and you have yourself an 8' Stainless air-flo.

i saw the unit you speak of at the MGIA show and i just cant see myself at 4 am cutting open bags and loading that thing..we go through about #22,000 on an avereage night so i guess im just used to the big ones. even if you only have a little bit to salt you are still going to to profit mor b/c you can buy salt in bulk for half the cost of bagged.

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Eyesell,
    What is the capacity of that salter & is it simillar to the WESTERN that I have. What kind of interesting features does it have?
    BOAST:waving:

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Others have commented about the benefits of a "large" spreader. The V-Boxes I assume.

Here's my personal situation, and I'm sure, the situation that MANY share.

In any given storm I apply approx 1500-2000lbs of bagged salt. When I'm done, I'm done. Take off the tailgate spreader if I want (by myself) and thats it. Any extra salt bags, I unload and stack in the garage on a skid (by myself).

Now,.....Imagine if I go the V-Box route. Snows coming.....:eek:

Now what?......

List of PROBLEMS with V-Box:

1) V-Box weighs 650-800lbs. How does it get into my truck bed? A: Front end loader and chains??.....which leads me to...

2) Don't have a loader. OK.....Buy an elaborate chain hoist lift to lift and support V-Box when NOT in use. -OR- Buy a loader for $15-25K

3) Load with salt. (see #2)

4) Drive to supply yard that is "hopefully" open 24hrs and load up with a load (~3000lbs ?) using THEIR loader.

5) Only snows a little, didn't need the "full load" that I got. Now what? Unload...?.. where? If I unload somewhere, how would I get it back in the next time?

Just seems like a LOT of issues for the small time users such as myself.

Now if I had onsite salt storage, onsite loader, and a LARGE shopping center, then there is NO substitute for a V-Box salter.

But, I don't. I have a couple commercial lots, a few driveways, and a Church Parking lot.

Whats perfect for one guy is totally useless for another.

7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Check-out Midstatetruck in Indy...largest Boss dealer around. They have the spreader from Boss....They attach using an RT-3 hitch mounted on the rear & it has the receiver built into it. Pretty slick setup.

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Here are the biggest advantages I see with the thing,

1. I will never be applying the amount of salt required for a V-Box salter so as TLS suggested I can install this thing in a New York minute on my own.

2. Yes it takes bag salt only, again, being on my own with no additional equipment it will be much easier to load with salt, plus if I ever need more than the capacity of thing ( 1800 Lbs ) I will have to stop and load it manually.

3. With a push of a button it hooks up to the truck, there is a frame that goes around the lower unit to protect it should you back into something, that lowers on the ground storing the thing upright while not in use. When you go to hook up for next job, simply back up to it, hook up power wire, push a button and the frame raises up locks in place and your done. It is as simple as their plow.

Again, as TLS said, I just don't and won't be doing enough lots for the big V. I can appreciate it's use as I have seen many of them in action this past winter, but storage for the thing when not in use is my other BIG problem.

thanks again
    Frank

9. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

where do i find out about this sander??
    I looked on the web site and didn't find anything.
    Does anyone happen to have any pictures?
    This sounds like it may be the perfect answer for me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Its brand new, I looked at there site also and saw nothing. My dealer only has there one brochure. It is a very slick unit. I will stop by the dealer and see if I can copy his brochure and post a pic here.

11. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

that would be great

12. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have the brochure from the Boss dealer >www.Mid-stateTruck.com < I will try and scan it and get it up on here.

13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hopefully this loads ok,,,,bitmapfile

boss spreader (648 x 825) (486 x 619).jpg

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Not bad, do you have the spec sheet as well ??

15. mdg

mdg Junior Member
    from wi

I sent an e-mail to boss asking about the new spreader. Apparently it is still in the testing stage and what we are seeing are field units for testing and to get some intrest going. They are also going to mail me a copy of the brochure. Very nice people, and very helpfull. I couldn't help but mention that a smart hitch style mounting system for a spreader has got to be one of the best ideas out there at this moment.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

At least you got an email to them. I got blocked by their anti-spam filter and it returned my inquirry.

Who would spam BOSS? Heck, how much email can they get? I probably get more a day than them, but I don't go putting peoples address on a spam block list.

:realmad:

A message (from tommyslawnservice@comcast.net ) was received at 8 Mar 2004 21:13:12 +0000.

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<sales@bossplow.com>
    Permanent Failure: 550_5.2.1_Mailbox_unavailable._Your_IP_address_xxx.xxx.xxx.xx_is_blacklisted_using SORBS-ALL._Details:_Spam_source._Spam_Received_See: http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?IP=216.148.227.85.
    Delivery last attempted at Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:13:13 -0000

17. mdg

mdg Junior Member
    from wi

Spam filters aren't perfect, and I doubt that it was just that your address that was blocked, more likely some problem that has come out of your provider. The only other option is to wade through all the junk, like the 150+ spam messages my filter removes and the 40 or so that get through every bloody day. Not much of an option.:gunsfiring:

18. Rymm420

Rymm420 Junior Member

How do you guys make money on salt without a V bottom and not putting down atleast 8M lb a night.

19. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I pay 2.35 a bag and charge 8.00 plus time. We use about 4000lbs per push with my 2 commercial trucks...Chuck

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I don't then. :(

I'm only dropping a ton a pop. $200/hr average from a 12 year old $500 tailgate spreader.