1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Rubicon

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 3bladz, Feb 1, 2014.

1. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I finally bought a jeep to put a plow on. It's an 04Rubicon. I have my 8 foot VXT on it. This is one speedy rig on small parking lots. It turns so sharp I hardly have to use reverse. I plan to make it a driveway rig with a Daniel's back blade that I currently have on an F250. Not sure it's heavy enough to do a big snow and I don't think Ill use my boss wings on it either. I put 235 85 16 Duratracs on and they fit great with the 2 inch lift. Right now I have the back seat folded and 500# of sand in the back! hopefully that can come out when I switch over the back blade.

image.jpg

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Cool! I been thinking about doing that but how did you get that big plow on there??

3. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

Cool Rig. Jeeps are awesome! Just a 2 inch lift and #500 Ballast? looks great

4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Wow, that has to be one of the heaviest plows on a Wrangler! How is the front suspension doing?

5. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

We'll have to see how the front end holds up. I have air shocks on it that are rated for 200 psi and only have 85 in them. I put new u joints in the axles and unit bearings. The tires are 10 ply so they'll be fine. Probably my biggest worry is bending the jeeps frame. But the jeep is light enough it may not be a problem. I was plowing slush last night and hit a frozen spot and tripped the blade flat to the ground and everything was fine. That's the hardest I've ever tripped a blade though. It's so dang fun plowing with it, it may be hard to not use on the small lots. Plowing with such a small vehicle really changes how you can plow places. With a truck it's push forward then back all the way up and push again. This thing will turn around on the street or in the lot and go right back pushing. About like using a skid except transport time is fast too.
    I would have bought a 7 1/2 boss V but nobody has them, so I got a DXT to put on the truck this plow came off of. I didn't really need a V on the jeep but this way I can always put it on a truck if we have a big storm. I have 3 F250's and a 450 all with mounts and wiring and only three blades for all 5 vehicles.

6. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Love to see an action video!

7. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

What mount did you use and mods or is it a tj mount?

8. djr623

djr623 Member

That is awsome, auto or stick? That plow will eat up some ball joints but it looks like the most efficient plowing set up I've ever seen

9. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Constant wear and tear, definitely need to switch over to the 7'6" Boss. Im surprised the plow doesn't steer the Jeep instead of the front wheels while you plowing.

Michael

10. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Yeah I wonder how much difference 90# will really make though. I know it's gonna increase wear. But like I said I'm planning to use it for driveways. So that shouldn't be as bad. I'll be surprised too if the jeep doesn't get pushed sideways with a heavy snow. If it is a big snow I'll just put the plow on my 11 F250 Diesel. We keep that truck as a back-up anyway.
    The mount is a TJ mount with a 99-07 ford center section in place of the sport beam. I added a half inch plate on each end.

11. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Junior Member
    from Chicago

What a great idea to have multiple vehicles that can use the same plows. Ive been looking into a jeep as a backup vehicle. This would be a great idea if I can set it up to use the plow off my Ram in case its in the shop.

12. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've been looking for another Jeep since it looks like I'm doing mostly driveways now. I've been saying for years (ever since trying a TJ for a winter) that people way over-truck themselves. Wranglers are amazing! I totally agree about being able to plow differently - you can look at a lot in a whole new way. I'd love to see that thing in person if you're in the Bloomington area.

13. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

That's awesome, but dam that's a big plow for a Jeep. Take that 500lbs out and you will be doing a rear wheelie. Nice job on it, looks great. I have an 2004 as well.

14. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

We just had an 8 inch snow. The Jeep is a plowing machine. I never imagined it would push as much as it does. I think on a wet heavy snow the front would probably push sideways if windrowing but I went back to a job today that had snow piled about 3 foot deep along the curb. I put the Go Devil in low range and plowed it all back in the field three passes away so it won't drift the parking lot. It didn't even spin on the turf. I also plowed a 3/4 mile country lane that had some drifts two feet deep, those were the only two times I used low range. So no worries on deep snow. I really like the 8 footer on there. I'm not going down to 7 1/2 to save 40 pounds. In fact if we have a light snow I may use the wings. I don't mind changing ball joints and unit bearings and if I use low range instead of straining the trans it'll be fine.

15. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

The Plowmeister has some competition! I sure could have used a V this past week! Sweet set up

16. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Thats quite the little Rig! Just when everyone thought plowmeister was crazy for puttin a 7.5 V on his...here you come with an 8'2 VXT...We need some more action shots of that thing! Glad its working out for you!

17. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I found an 8 ft steel Boss V for sale local so I bought it to run on the jeep. It's a little lighter than the VXT so I'll prolly use it instead. We switched the daniels back blade over from an F250 to the Jeep. I think it's gonna make a kickass driveway rig. Now I actually have a back up blade. 5 trucks/4plows.

18. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Here is a picture that shows the back blade on the jeep. This makes driveways screaming fast. Two minutes per drive and leaving the street clean.

image.jpg

19. NJKCM883

NJKCM883 Junior Member

Can you please post more pics of the Daniels and possibly a video of this beast!!!

20. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Here's a picture of the back blade. I have a camera ordered so I can just watch it on the mirror. I also have a quick fist mounted on the back up light bar to hold a snow shovel. Since you can't exactly put one inside. The plow markers have been taken off since they are no help.

image.jpg