1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss RT3 V-plow controller turns off with headlights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stork87, Jan 18, 2016.

1. stork87

stork87 Junior Member

Just recently, the handheld controller looses power when the 2006 F-350's headlights are turned on. As long as the truck's lights are off, the controller has power and all plow functions work correctly. None of the lights will work on the plow now. Has anyone experienced anything like this.
    Thanks for the help.

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

That is a pretty bizarre problem. I assume that no one has done any recent work on the vehicle how may have deliberately or accidentally disconnected and/or reconnected (incorrectly) any wires. Working with that assumption, possibly a huge amount of corrosion at the relay pack under the hood shorting between the ground pin on the control power relay and the headlamp relay?

Does the problem happen on both high beam and low beam?

3. stork87

stork87 Junior Member

Just used it this morning. Controller has power with the truck high beams on, but not the lows. No work has been done on the truck since the initial install of the plow and 11 pin harness. No relay pack that I am aware of with the 11 pin. Still no lights on the plow at all. Controller has power when the parking lights are on also. The parking lights are not hooked up to the plow harness.
    Crazy for sure.
    Thanks for the reply

4. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

Hmmm, you have the 11 pin on an 06 Ford? That's uncommon. But you are correct, there are no relays on that one. In that case, I can only guess at the harness being damaged (either internally or externally) at the split where the harness goes to the headlight switch and the 9 pin plug. I would follow the harness back to that point and try moving it with your hand and see if the control starts working when you do.

5. stork87

stork87 Junior Member

I reused the harness from the 96 dodge that I had and just bought different headlight adaptors.