1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss rt3 smarthitch2

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by millerp, Feb 22, 2012.

1. millerp

millerp Junior Member

on a boss rt3 smarthitch2 does the plow have to ground to the mount on the frame of the truck for the tower to raise to lock on??

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No. If it requires grounding through the mount to operate then you have a poor connection somewhere on the ground cable in your power cables. And fixing that is important to prevent damage to the trucks electricals. So if that is the case here get after it ASAP.

3. millerp

millerp Junior Member

ok thats what i was thinking that also, i got the day off tomorrow so im gonna check it all out. thanks

4. BOSSFord

BOSSFord Junior Member

Just had this problem today. Plowing along and the plow stopped moving. I got out wiggled all the connections nothing. After about 10 min back up and running. Finished the drive and headed home. Pulled in and nothing again. Pulled the ground cables off the plow and truck, cleaned and reinstalled. Went to hook back up and sparks came from the pins were the plow connects to the mount. I noticed there was a ground strap coming from the truck to a clip that was laying on the mount. I clipped it back in place or at least I think it came from the mount cleaned the mount and plow with a wire brush. It was all working fine for a hour or so then it happened again. Wiggled the power connection and back up. Zipped tied it together so it wouldn't wiggle anymore and haven't had a problem since. My question is will the ground that I clipped on cause problems. I will replace the wiring for the power cables, figured that out. But if it shouldn't be grounded I'll go remove that right away. Thanks in advance.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have the same issue as the OP, your ground through the power cable is weak somewhere, the plow is attempting to ground through the mount; which again can be very damaging to the truck so get after it asap. :nono:

And the ground you suspect goes to the mount does not. Most likely it's an OEM chassis to frame ground, so either end of it has come loose. Either the frame end, or the rad support end. But regardless be sure and fix it too along with the plow cables.

I can't stress enough how important proper ground paths are to a plow. If the plow is grounded through anything other than it's intended ground through the power cables nothing good comes from it.

6. BOSSFord

BOSSFord Junior Member

OK, Thanks. I'm suspecting the the connection were they separate is the problem. Everything else looks good. I'll try cleaning the inside of the ground a little more and see what happens, along with removing that ground strap from the mount. Hopefully I can find where that went. Thanks again.