1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss rt3 on 03 2500hd

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wilfred17, Jan 1, 2007.

1. wilfred17

wilfred17 Junior Member

I'm installing the mount,and I could easily get more than 15 1/2" clearance on the push beam,more like 17". Would this be acceptable?I don't know if the torsion bars have been cranked up or not, I bought the truck used .

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

17 inches of ground clearance would be plenty. I have an 02 and I think that I just have 16 inches. Does the truck have timberns? If not I would go buy some. They are cheap insurance on the front end suspension for only about $160 bucks. I would go buy some of those and leave the t-bars alone. If the t-bars haven't been touched the truck will only drop about 1 inch when u you put the plow on and pick it up off the ground. I hope this helps you out. Post some pics of the truck when you get everything mounted up.

Ryan

3. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Boss mount is adjustable and has a recommended height. Go to web site and check installation manual.

4. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I believe for v plows its 15.5 inches.

J

5. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I believe the recommended height for the v plows is 15.5 inches to the center of the pin hole.

J

6. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

I've got a 2006 2500HD with brand new 265/75-16 Cooper Snows and I could only get 14-1/2" without crushing up and distorting the lower plastic bumper valance before I started a little cutting and cranking. Maybe you have a different bumper design... or maybe taller tires... or maybe the bumper valance was cut... or maybe the .03's just sit higher, but I'm guessing someone did a little cranking before you bought it. Now with some cranking, a set of Timbrens and two small valance cuts at the pushbeam brackets... everything looks fine and I am right at the specified 15-1/2 inches.

It's my (novice's) understanding that for the correct operational geometry of the plow, you should really try to get as close to that Boss-specified 15-1/2 inches as possible. If nothing else, adjustability in the pushbeam bracket should accomodate that.

Dougman

7. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

If you set the mount up too high you are going to have a bi#@! of a time unhooking from your plow unless you throw down some 2x" lumber before dropping it. At least with an RT3 v-plow anyways!

8. wilfred17

wilfred17 Junior Member

I ended up cutting the valance before installation of the mount, there are 3 indentations in it, and 2 line up with the push beam. The cutouts are way bigger than they have to be ,but they look stock .I did remove the thing to cut it. I have 265/75s also, I think the t-bars must be way cranked up.

9. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

At least on my '06, if the lower valance had been cut or removed entirely, I could have hit 15-1/2" easily without cranking simply by raising the pushbeam relative to the side brackets. In fact, that is what the dealer's installer wanted me to do (dealer, by policy, does not perform or recommend cranking). With more serious valance cutting, I'll bet I could probably have hit 16-1/2" if I wanted to... but no point in doing so.

Without any cuts or cranking, all I could hit was 14-1/2" before the valance started to compress. At 15-1/2", the valance was a bulging pretzel. I lowered the pushbeam back down 1" (relative to the brackets) to where the valance was more or less okay (14-1/2") and started cranking. I gained about 3/4" (+/-) with a little cranking and about 1/4" (+/-) more after the Timbrens were installed (and t-bars readjusted) to hit 15-1/2" exactly. I finished off with two tiny valance cuts at the bracket contact points to relieve any remaining valance stress.

In other words, all other things being equal, you are probably cranked up, but not necessarily over-cranked. Best way to tell is to target 15-1/2" and see where your bolt holes line up between the pushbeam and side brackets. In my case, the four vertical pushbeam holes line up with the four center bolt holes (of 6) on the side brackets. I have one unused bolt hole above and one below the pushbeam bolt holes.

Dougman

10. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

don't cut it push it

snow plow card 009.jpg