1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss RT2 light problem for 2001 Dodge 4 bulb headlight

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mr Mrk, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Mr Mrk

Mr Mrk Junior Member

I'm new to the site, but see some great information and problem solving out there.

I have a 2001 Dodge 5.9 sport 4x4 with the four headlight configuration. I have an older Boss RT1 Power V 8'2" plow, and have fab'd a plow adapter so I can remove the light rack with a single bolt on each side. Its as close to an RT2 mount as I can get without buying one. The hydraulics and controls are great. I bought a new 11 pin RT2 wiring harness, pump motor wires and disconnect, etc.

Now I am on to the lights. My 2001 Dodge Sport headlights (4 total bulbs) are as follows: The low beam bulbs shut off on high beam, but the high beam drops to a lower "voltage" on low beam (dual filament?). I was told to use the Boss MSC04291 adapter kit, that comes with two splitters (1x2 each) and a dual coil/relay harness (3 total wiring pieces). The relay has an input for each bulb (connects to the truck wiring harness), a single output (to the Boss harness), and a ground wire.

The instructions were nearly worthless. I tried connecting the relay harness between the truck connectors (one high beam plug one low beam plug) on the drivers side, then plugging that harness into the Boss harness. Then the boss harness has a light plug for each side, so each side gets a 1x2 splitters to connect the Boss harness to the truck lights (2 bulbs each side - hi/low). The plow is an older RT1, but the harness system and basic lights are the same. The plow lights are a single sealed beam. I also have the light transfer switch in the cab that is connected to the harness wires per the color-coded Boss wiring diagram. It seems to make sense, but the relays may not effectively adapt the high beam dual voltage plus "off" of the truck to high beam single voltage headlight for the plow. The plow lights work, but the plow hi or low beams worked but were not adjustable to the other (high/low) because I think the truck dimmer switch uses a more complex system than standard hi/low.

Do I have the right light adapter kit for my truck? The package lists it as being for a 99-00 Dodge.

Am I missing something simple?

I'm stuck without lights in Alaska.

Please help.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013