1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss RT1 question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Walkinman1, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Walkinman1

Walkinman1 Junior Member

Does anyone know where to get a service manual for an RT1? Or maybe someone can tell me how to adjust the relief valves? The left wing will actually creep back by itself and doesn't take much of a snow load to push it back, the right wing still seems to hold just fine... Thanks in advance!

2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Not sure I can help you, but id be making sure its not a warn cylinder first. As far as I know, you will need a pressure gauge to make sure you don't over adjust it. Seems to me it would be more likely for the cylinder to have bad seals vs a valve. Good luck. Might be worth taking it to your local dealer for service...

3. Walkinman1

Walkinman1 Junior Member

The cylinder isn't showing any signs of leakage and since it's a single acting cylinder I don't think it could be internal leakage. I do have a pressure gauge but can't find any specs online or even any manuals for sale or download. Might have to check with a dealer I suppose but I would like to get ahold of a manual for future issues...

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Does it snap back quickly when you bring it in or is it normal speed?

5. Walkinman1

Walkinman1 Junior Member

It comes back at nearly the same speed as the right wing if not a tad slower but it seems pretty normal in that aspect.

6. terrapro

from MI

I can't remember if those valves are adjustable or not and my RT1 truck isn't sitting here at my house...
    You can always give it a try, are there flathead screw on top of each valve actuator?

7. Walkinman1

Walkinman1 Junior Member

Not that I can see, I thought maybe the adjustment would be hidden under a plug somewhere. Maybe the valve itself is going bad and not closing all the way or sealing...

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

There's still RT1 plows in use? Holy crap.

9. Walkinman1

Walkinman1 Junior Member

Yup, gets used pretty hard too. First boss plow I've ever had and without a doubt the best plow I've ever used. It's built very well, over twenty years old and still going strong...wish I could say the same for the truck it's mounted on, lol.

10. terrapro

from MI

Same here...badass piece of metal. Trucks a piece of dump it's on but the plow and motor/pump are bulletproof, this is the second truck it has been on at that.
    After this truck goes away I want to mount the plow to a skid

11. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Ok, This is a long shot I know. Yes I too have an old RT1. my pump motor only has 1 pole. The wire diagram shows 2. I believe the pole is positive and hooks to the opposite side of the relay from the battery post. On this system the relay is bolted to the pump motor. My question is, Does the pump motor / pump need to be grounded anywhere other than one little ground that goes from a small post on the relay to frame. ?

12. 82F100SWB

82F100SWB Junior Member

As long as the pump is bolted to steel it should be OK, but it will not hurt to run a ground cable from one of the mount bolts to the battery.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It could be a check valve as easily as as PR valve. Beware of overriding factory relief setting, good way to cause damage elsewhere.