1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss RT-3 Straight Blade Issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bow_Extreme, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Bow_Extreme

Bow_Extreme Junior Member

I have a barely used Boss straight blade RT-3 snow plow. I just hooked it up for the first time this winter and I seem to be having problems. I ran searches on this site and ran thru all the common items and I still have issues.

This plow sits in a heated pole barn ( 65-70 Deg. ) and has maybe been used a couple times only. It is like brand new. I pulled up to it and hooked up the wiring. I hit the smart switch and nothing. I went to the cab and grabbed the controller and tried moving it up and the pump would come on and the plow wouldn't go up. I pushed the control down and "click" is all I get. I removed the up and down solenoids, cleaned everything, put them back together and still the same. I checked voltage while pushing the controller up and down and I seem to have it. I checked continuity thru the solenoids and wiring for up and down and I seem to have it. I took it one step further and removed the valves, cleaned them although they were like new and so was the fluid. I put them back in and even tried switching them with each other along with the solenoids too and still the same situation.

Side to side seems to work great. I'm a bit puzzled now as to what the cause is. It seems as if the valves are stuck and it doesn't matter what I do it stays stuck. The fluid is full and like I said earlier it's like new. Any and all help is appreciated with this. I would like to get out and plow some snow with it. Again thank you for any help!!

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

did you check the truck/plow power connection?
    un plug it, spread the contacts slightly and put it back and give it a go

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have it attached to the truck or are you diagnosing on the ground? Did you check the lift coil for magnetism with the raise button pressed?

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Sorry, i miss read the OP and you have left and right........

I am ready to help, just short on correct answers:dizzy:

Mike will get ya going

5. Bow_Extreme

I honestly haven't tried the magnetism check. How exactly do you do this as I'm still new to this? I did switch the coils around. Is it possible that both the up and down coils could both be bad? Or does the magnetism check have something to do with another problem?

6. Bow_Extreme

I actually cleaned these connections and moved the connectors around a bit before putting them back together. This didn't seem to have any effect.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Testing for mag easily tells you whether you have an electrical issue or a hydraulic issue. In other words it makes it simple to differentiate which part of the system isn't functioning correctly to allow narrowing it down quicker and easier.

To check the coil for mag simply hold a screwdriver near it while a helper runs the controls. If it has mag you'll feel it pull the screwdriver right up to the coil.

8. Bow_Extreme

I will try that next.

9. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

I know this may sound kinda elementary but you did Not say anything about it. Did you put the controler in float mode? Before trying the smart switch??? I've been known to forget to do that the first couple times when my plow was new. Just thought I'd ask.....I'm sure you did??????

10. Bow_Extreme

Honestly I did not. I will go do that immediately.

11. Bow_Extreme

Well I suppose I will have to wait a bit to try this a something came up but I will feel like an ass if this is all the problem is. I've honestly never hooked this plow up before and this was the first time for me. I suppose I need to do dome reading up on this first before full use is incurred.

12. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

let us know if that was the problem......

13. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Oh yeah to put the controler into float, just hold down the down arrow on the controler until it lights up RED, then you are in float mode. The smart switch should then work. Good luck.....

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boy are you gonna feel stupid. :D

That was one reason I asked if you actually had the plow on the truck or not, although you skipped over the question so we never did receive a conformation to that one.

15. DJC

DJC Senior Member

That was my answer also...I have done the same thing and I bet thats the problem....

16. Bow_Extreme

Yes, the plow not being in float was the problem. I do have a confession to make. This plow is really not mine. I was trying to help my neighbor out. He asked if I knew anything about plows and I told him no but I would try. After going thru everything I could think of I posted here for help. I really do appreciate the help with this!! I should have downloaded the hookup instructions off of the boss website and I probably would have figured this out on my own. The only thing I downloaded was the wiring diagram. I would have never known the plow had to be in float to hook up. Again, sorry for the stupidity but my neighbor is grinning ear to ear now that his plow is working and so am I. He likes to plow my driveway for me.:cool:

17. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Good deal I'm glade we were able to help.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's no mounting instruction decal on the rear of the blade? The first step on it will state "place controller in the float position".

Not all dealers install the decals though, and will create this very issue for someone not familiar with them.

19. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Great that your good to go...........

20. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Glad to hear that was the problem, Ive had a few off moments this season myself as I have different brand plows and sometimes forget what I am doing. Enjoy the season!