1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss rt-3 shorting out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gagesllc, Mar 13, 2011.

1. gagesllc

gagesllc Junior Member

my boss rt-3 shorts out when i go to use the smart hitch sparks fly and it then it dosnt move. once its hooked up the plow works fine

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The plow has a bad ground. Make sure the ground is tight on the plowside and the truck side. This happens because the plows pump usually grounds thru the red and black cable. But because the ground is loose it is grounding thru the plow frame.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would agree issues with the ground. Real simply way to test it go to hook the plow up as you would take some jumper wires and connect the ground on your battery and hook it to the ground on your plow motor. It shouldn't spark anymore, if no sparks them you know it is something woth the ground cable.

4. gagesllc

gagesllc Junior Member

thanks i will be sure to check that

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If its not tight make sure to clean the area the cable is connected too then retighten it down.