1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Push Plates on 2006 Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dougman, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Will installation of the push plates for a Boss 8' steel straight blade plow require any cutting or trimming of the plastic lower bumper valance on a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 work truck? My valance is the plain-jane one with the square cutouts for the tow hooks and with a blank spot for fog lights... but without the fog lights actually installed.

Also, can I retain the tow hooks? Or are they history?

Thanks!
    Dougman

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

No cutting needed and you can still have your tow hooks. The mount is easy to install. 3 bolts along the back side go right into existing holes on the truck. You hafta take out the bolts for the tow hooks and line the push frame up with those holes and screw the longer bolts into the tow hooks. Then theres 2 more bolts that go into the bottom of the tow hook, one on each side. As for the valance, i didnt wanna cut mine so its just pushed up a tiny bit, not so much that its all bent and dumb looking. Thats it...pretty easy. Ill snap some pics for ya

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  3. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Once again... Thank you! I don't mind a little push-up. I've just seen some nasty chop jobs on the Fisher push plates and would like to avoid that shoddy, amateurish look. Funny how some installers cut so nice and straight... and others butcher them like no tomorrow. Anyway, I like the Boss design better anyway and the price is right. If I can keep my tow hooks as well, all the better!

Dougman

4. 06HD BOSS

The bolt you see in the middle of the pic is the one im talking about that gets bolted into the underside of the tow hook.
    Truck Mount:[​IMG]

frameMount.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Looks easy enough as long as there is no drilling. Did you install your Boss plow yourself? If so, how long did it take? Anything crazy complicated? I am reasonably mechanically competent and have a trailer, large garage and lifting capability... and it kinda looks like I waited too long to make my decision. With snow on the ground here today, all the procrastinators are tying up the installers bad!!!

Thanks again,
    Dougman

6. 06HD BOSS

Install isnt bad at all. The mount is straight forward. Just get a roll jack and lift it into place while you bolt everything down. Frame took about an hour. The wiring took the time. Its not hard to do but just takes time because of having to run them through the firewall and through the engine compartment. Grill comes off easy to run wires behind and headlights pop right out to wire those up. My first install and it took me about 3.5hours, learning as i went.

7. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Thanks! :waving:
    Dougman

8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I tried without trimming but kept running into the same problem where it didn't want to bend correctly. I ended up just trimming these 2 spots where the frame is. Will never know unless you bend down and look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on relocating the harness to the hole in the bumper @ the middle. Then reinstall tow hooks.

9. 06HD BOSS

bowtie guy - without that right tow hook how is the bolt that holds the frame there hooked up? did you just take it out or what?

10. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Thanks very much for the pix. I'm picking up my 8' Boss plow this afternoon so I guess I'll know soon whether or not a small cut makes sense. I suppose the valances might fit or bend a little differently on each truck. I don't mind making a small cut underneath... just no obvious wholesale butchering!!!

Again, thanks to you guys! Pray for me on this installation thing! I may need you again real soon! :D

Dougman

11. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Umm, not a clue. I will have to crawl under it and look. The dealer installed it, They left the valance off and removed the hooks. I guess they are a little behind in the times not knowing the tow hooks stay. What do the install instructions say to do?

12. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Well, the plow is outside on my trailer in a gazillion parts and pieces! I hope I got everything and I pray to God this installation goes well. I was lucky that I was able to spend some serious time with the dealership's full-time plow installer as I was waiting for one last missing part to be shipped in and he was waiting for his next truck to arrive. He was a meticulous installer, extremely helpful and knew every hint, trick and possible pitfall on these Boss Plows that anyone could ever know. I should have written down all of them. I hope to remember them all as I read the instructions and proceed with the install. He gave me his cell phone number just in case I get in a really bad jam.

If I'd have known this guy was so good, I'd have made an appointment, waited and paid the extra $300.00 for installation. I just wanted this install done right and I didn't trust the two local Boss dealerships who are both brand new to this and very low volume. And BTW, this installer does recommend two small cuts to the valance... not because you can't make it fit as is... but because he says it will look and function better. I still plan to keep my options open until I see for myself.

I am more concerned about his recommendation that I cut out a spot on the grill for the electrical connections. Again, my hope was for a near-stock look when the plow was not installed. This kind of spoils that. I like your spot better... even if it means losing one hook... but the installer said to keep the plugs as high as possible. Is there another reasonable option? Like leaving the plugs behind the grill?

Sadly, it's quite cold here today, so today will mainly be a day of unloading, prep and whatever I can pre-assemble inside the heated house. I've also got to pickup some new tools... larger sockets and an extension for the air wrench and maybe larger hand wrenches as well. It's expected to be warmer here Wednesday and Thursday. No rush for me... I plan to take my time, do it up perfect and enjoy every minute!

Dougman

13. 06HD BOSS

This is mine. I like them here because i can tuck them away or pull them out as needed.
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17453&stc=1&d=1161189605
    personally i dont want to cut my valance because if i ever take the frame off to sell the truck its gonna look like hell. i think mine looks fine the way it is.
    Here i dotted in red where the bolts need to go into the tow hook.

under.JPG

14. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Yeah, I think that spot is probably the best compromise between ideal functional position and preserving the exterior integrity of the truck. I certainly can't think of anyplace better. I don't even mind opening the hood to make the connection if it would save me having some exposed plugs... but I'll bet that is discouraged.

I think I misled you a bit on the installer's comments. His main and overriding point was that he felt it would function better with the two small cuts. Secondarily, he felt that hanging perfectly straight would look slightly better than even a slight bow. He even talked about pinning the center section up slightly to keep it straight. That's how meticulous he was.

As you know, I couldn't care less about a small bow. That's totally fine with me. But is function really affected? He talked about something that could sometimes catch or hinder when installing (or was it removing?) the plow. Does this make any sense? Or was he just trying to be a little overly professional (as such folks have to be in a world ruled by liability concerns)?

Selling the truck later is of no concern to me. I hope to keep this beast for many years... eventually having it become my backup truck. But even if it was to be sold, a new valance is less than $100.00... about $75.00 I think they quoted me while I was still considering a Fisher. While crazy high for a simple piece of plastic, it's relatively reasonable in today's world of inflated factory replacement parts.

Dougman

15. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I should almost bring this in and ask why the ^$*# they don't follow the manufacturers instructions.
    I took a look and they just installed bolts with nuts in place of the tow hook.

16. 06HD BOSS

:eek: :confused: i dont like the sound of that

17. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Mine was mounted similar to Bowtie_Guy, but instead of the brackets needing room at the valance, it was the pushbeam right at the eyelits. Wasn't a problem until I saw that I needed to raise the beam one bolt hole to get the center of the eyelits at the recommended 15.5". It worked just fine, although after a while I just decided to take a dremel tool and cut two little 3/4 inch by 1 inch slots on the little vertical lip on the underside of the bumper. Couldn't even tell that it was cut when you got on the ground and looked straight in. I had the same truck you did, but mine was a 05 W/T 2500HD, tow hooks, but no fog lights. I just mounted my hookups right to the top of the plastic on the bumper, just to the left of of the driver's headlight. Worked out really nice there because it was high enough to stay out of the snow and ice so it never froze over while plowing or just driving around.

18. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Thanks for the info. After a slight cold weather (and tool procurement) delay here, the mount parts are going on the truck tomorrow morning. What size snow tires were on your 2500HD? I just put on some larger than stock snow tires... 265/75's... so I figure I gained a half inch or so over stock 245/75's. That could mean a slightly lower pushbeam position relative to the valance to hit that 15-1/2" height exactly. Hmmmm.

I was amused to see that the manufacturer's instructions call for the hookups to be mounted on or below the bumper! :eek: That's the opposite of what my experienced installer said to do. Your idea sounds good if I am visualizing it right. Still, I think some sort of "disappearing" connections will work out best for me! I can always move them out front and/or higher later if I find it inconvenient.

Dougman

19. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

My truck had the stock 245's on it, but I also raised the torsion bars about 2 inches, roughly 5 turns if I remember right.

20. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Ahhhhhhh... okay. That makes sense. Even with my extra 1/2 inch of height from the 265/75's, I was really hurtin' bad trying to make my 15-1/2 inches. I really had to jam that lower plastic bumper valance up with the protruding parts on the push beam. In fact, I jammed it so hard, the lower valance is distorted and almost popping off the chrome bumper. I'll need to do some trimming for sure where the push beam and side brackets meet. That should relax the plastic at the push beam protrusions and everything should be fine.

If not, I guess I'll have to crank up on those torsion bars! Or is that recommended anyway? The installer who coached me didn't mention that at all.

Dougman