1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss push beam height question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stroker79, Nov 1, 2009.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I recently got slightly larger tires and put on a leveling kit and not my front push beam is 19.5" to the center of the hole. Its supposed to be at 15.5" as we all know. Right now my push beam is level with the bottom of the side brackets. Does anyone know how far below those brackets the push beam can be? I cannot find anything about it in my manuals or online. Also, how much of a drop is each hole? an inch?

Im pretty sure I am going to have to extend the side brackets down a little but any help would be appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll have to drop the pushbeam Doug or the wings will never set flat on the ground, as 19.5" is way to high for a vee. You'll never be able to adjust that much out with the center bumper.

You can go one bolt hole below the side plates without an issue but you need more than that. So fabrication will be in order. :nod:

3. stroker79

Oh yeag I know its way too high. I had to move it yesterday, that was fun!

Now what if I were too make the boss plow mount push beam and side plates removable for the summer.

My thought was, say about 2" below the bumper, cut the mount right off. Then weld in a 1/2" plate across it, on the truck side and the side that was just cut off, weld in some gussets on to keep everything strong with the plates, and then use about 6 or so grade 8 3/4" bolts to bolt the 2 plates together for the winter. Then remove the bolts to have a low profile mount in the summer. Do you think that would work? have you seen something like this before? am i outta my mind? I don go off road but the frame will be so low it will look a little tacky IMO.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your thinking is just fine. I've built several mounts over the years in the same way so the owner could easily remove the bulk of the mount for the off season ground clearance advantage and basically built them the same way your describing.

5. stroker79

Oh good!

Do I need to use 1/2" plate or would 1/4" plate work? I only have a 110 volt welder. I can use a 220V if need be but my 110 will only weld up too 1/4" plate.

Do you have any pictures of your projects like this?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Somehow I knew pics would be asked. Seldom take any but I'm usually guilty of that with most jobs regardless. :cry:

No need for 1/2" if done correctly as it's way overkill. But I would however use the 220V welder to build what you need. Cut the side plates off just below the bumper and build down from there with new material adding in whatever length you need with a single piece including the needed hole . Of course you'll be bolting the new to the old upper section to give you the ease of removal you're after too. I recommend adding a second cross brace right below where you'll be tying your new side plates into the original upper portion for better torsional strength.

The same basic principle applies to the rear braces as well.

7. stroker79

Cool no problem.

This should be a fun project.

8. stroker79

Well with the threat of snow coming I finally got motivated to drop the pushbeam and make it detachable. Ill get pics tomorrow as I need to finishi it up but I did drive my plow home and it hooks up nice and easy again. It going to take some getting used too since I can no longer see my boss headlights nor the position of the plow unless im in scoop or full left or right.

9. stroker79

Pics as promised.

To detach the mount, there are 4 bolts towards the top on each of the sides. Take those out and the whole lower section comes off. I chopped off the last 3 holes on each side peice of the original bracket so when I take the detachable section off, the mount hangs about 4-5 inches below the bottom of my bumper.

Ill get better pics in daylight but these show most of it for now.

The funny part is, now I cant even see my plow headlights from the driver seat, LOL

photo 4-3.jpg

photo 2-9.jpg

photo 3-6.jpg

photo-9.jpg

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks pretty good Doug however I will make one recommendation to save you an issue later. Add a triangulated brace on both sides between the pushbeam and your vertical side plates with some plate. A couple triangles from a piece of 1/4", say about 6"- 8" (or whatever you have space for) on the long sides would really help. The further up you can go the better. Catching a couple of the bolts would be even better yet and highly recommend. You could have it use the same bolts that are there so its still removable and would stay with the pushbeam when you removed it.

The reason being is you have little support side to side and while windrowing there's a TON of lateral force attempting to shove the mount sideways. And the longer your side drops are the more leverage it has and will actually bend the side plates right below the frame rails where it's attached. Guys all too often only take the rearward loads into consideration without also factoring in the side loads, and that's what twists the mount.

A quick and crude drawing but I'm sure you get the idea...

photo 3-6.jpg

11. stroker79

Yeah I was thinking about something like that. Except I was thinking of mounting them on the top side. But I was thinking of using angle iron, weld them in as low as I can on the inside of side peices that are not removable and then triangulate them into the that little frame piece on the truck. Bolt a peice of angle to the truck and weld the triangulated braces onto the angle in the center. That way I can still unbolt it all. I dont have time to do a drawing, but if it doesnt make sense ill do one to see what you think.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Lets see your artistic skills. :D