1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss push beam extensions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TJ2015, Jan 4, 2016.

1. TJ2015

TJ2015 Junior Member

Hey there, new to forum but have been pushing snow for 5 years or so. I have had 3 boss plows and never had a problem with the height of the push beam until I got this 08 Chevy 2500. It has a leveling kit and 285/75/16s that came on it when I got it. For the bracket to sit at 15.5", it has to be two bolt holes past which I know is not good on it. Is there someone that fabs these brackets up and I can buy them to just bolt on or is it case by case on the brackets? Anyone care to share some pics of how the braced the beam if you are running a lifted truck? Thanks!

2. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Is it really that high? All my Chevys are leveled and I still line up fine. My push beam is at the bottom hole.

3. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

You can also drop the truck down a little bit until you get to the right height by adjusting the torsion bars. I personally wouldnt be fabbing up drop brackets unless they are a lot Stronger than the stock boss ones.

4. TJ2015

TJ2015 Junior Member

For some reason this truck it seems to be too high. Iv had a 03 and 07 classic and never had a problem, if I adjust the truck down then the tires rub on the back of front fenders. I may just have to go with a 265/75/16 it sounds like and hopefully get me another hole on the push beam. I agree on the bracket, I hate to have to modify the underside.

5. NoNeck

NoNeck Junior Member

I have a leveled 13 ram with 35s and I have the same issue. Another guy on one of the ram forums showed a pic of his beam and it was one hole lower than the mount so that's how I did mine. I ended up at 17 inches instead of 15.5. Haven't plowed yet but I'm guessing I'll have some issues when I angle. I did see someone on one of the forums had some extension plates fabbed and installed.

6. TJ2015

TJ2015 Junior Member

That's where I sit pretty much. 15.5 with two holes showing or 17 with one showing.

7. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Drop the truck a couple turns and do the nor cal nick fender mod.

Ive done them on all my trucks except my new 16 because it has larger wheel wells.
    http://norcaltruck.com/index.php/component/com_ixxocart/Itemid,591/id,2046/p,product/parent,161/

8. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

A good fab shop can make you something just as strong for a few $$$.. Im in the same boat, my ram has a 2.5in leveling kit and 285/75's and im at 17in to my ears.. This causes my wings to sit a little off the ground at the very end when in the ^ position.. Then with it in the scoop position it causes the middle to be up about a 1/2in.. You can adjust the plow some which is supposed to help.. I havent done that yet to see if it will cure it or not.. If not my next step is fabbing up new brackets as I cant handle my truck being unlevel looking when the plow isnt on.. I know I could take the leveling kit off and just drop my rear to make it level again but the weight of the cummins up front really takes the front end down and almost looks like a 2wd truck.. Not up for that..

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a local friend who owns a welding and fab shop modify the mount on my truck to make the plates that stick down vertically off the frame longer and also modify the horizontal supports so they worked with my lift and sharing the same mounting locations on the frame. It ended up stronger then it was from boss.

I don't have any pictures showing the frame work under the truck but you can see where they welded extensions onto the vertical plates.
    [​IMG]

10. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I would be more then happy to fab up some plates for U. I'm now making a swing gate for my spreader so I don't have to dril holes in my bed

11. TJ2015

TJ2015 Junior Member

Thanks for the pic, that's what I'm looking to do is extend the brackets like they did for yours

12. NoNeck

NoNeck Junior Member

I considered the same fix and even looked at the plow side to find options to lower everything to get it into spec and while I haven't tried it or had it fabbed yet, I think the best solution would be to remove the push beam, cut the ends off and weld new taller ends on it so you can now drop the beam 2 or 3 holes past the outer mounts but now have 5 inches or so of steel above the pushbar that you could now lock into the outer side plates if that makes sense? Ypu would now be loading the whole outer plate with stress from the lowered pushbar instead of the last 2 inches. It would also look cleaner and you wouldon't have to remove the plow frame from the truck. Additionally, you could have the altered pushbeam powdercoated before reinstall and it would look like a factory job.