1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by OhioPlower, Feb 20, 2012.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive started having a issue with my 2008 8.5 straight blade a couple weeks ago. Every once in awhile when you go to lift the blade it doesnt lift. The solenoid clicks though. Plugs are fully plugged in. If I remember right it angles fine. Fluid level is good. Eventually it does lift, just takes a few times. What would it be... solenoid or controller going bad? Or something else? Thanks

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Has the solenoid ever been replaced? If it just clicks time for a new one..

3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Triple check and clean all your power and ground cables. FIRST!

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I had similar problems with mine I found after cleaning all contacts, replacing the solinoid and using dielectric grease, it didn't help. What I did find is the power male post cables where they connect had compressed, I ended up having to stick the blade of my pocket knife in the grove to expand them back, which got me through the night, however I still need to replace the positive and negative cables, as it started to act up again. Good luck -Joe-

5. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

It is the original solenoid. Thanks guys ill look into those ideas.

6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

if its the original, you should probably replace it anyways, its one of those things you should always keep as a spare anyways.

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

One of mine is 7 yrs old, but I do keep spares in the trucks........

8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Put some Anderson Power Pole connecters on your power cables , and your problems will more than likely disappear ! They are available at Grainger supply and NAPA has a very similiar one too ! Oh not to be a Parrot but a spare solenoid is a must in the truck , right next to the spare hoses and plow oil .

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a link to those called, I just priced some from my Boss dealer & they were close to $90.00

10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

At Grainger they're like $16.00 Ea. . Of course Boss is going to be more and they only sell their stuff , which is the problem in the first place ! Anderson Power Poles are what you want , if you really want to eliminate the problem .