1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Problem or Dodge Problem??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Jul 22, 2007.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Ever since I installed my Boss wiring harness onto my 04 Dodge, on the first attempt to turn on my headlights all I get is parking lights. I have to turn the switch back off and then back on again to get the headlights to come on.

Wondering if the issue is with the relay in the harness or with the Dodge computer that controls the headlights.

Any thoughts?
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

man i tell you working on dodge boss plow combination's we have more problems with the trucks especially with dodge sports,the new harness kits for the new trucks are going to 2 extra relays for the lights older trucks have a lamp out message problem.
  3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well now it seems that I can only get my passenger side high beam on the truck to go on. I thought it was a bulb, so went out and bought a new one, but no......Funny thing is that all the lights on the plow work fine. High beam, low beam, signals, parking lights all work.

So I went to unhook the harness and guess what.....still the same problem. I did a search and found out about maybe having to get the ECM reset, but its out of warranty and I dont feel like spending $$$ just to get one hi beam back and then maybe have it go out again when I hook the harness back up.

This is what you get when people let computers control everything......
  4. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I may be talking out of turn here since my truck is a 2001.

but here goes anyway.....check your fuses under the hood ....on mine, they are fused independently. I had one that was very dim for most of the winter while I was looking for a loose ground or plow harness problem...I never checked the fuses because "it cant be that, the other one is lit and this one is just dim" ...it was backfeeding enough voltage to light me up dim... on the blown side...

just a thought...good luck

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LOL I had the same problem:waving:
    I even bought a new headlight thinking that was the problem.:dizzy:

Not sure if it is related to bltp203's problem but it's worth looking into.
  6. robmints

robmints Junior Member
    from MD

I don't think it is the ecm. It might be the TIPM but that did not start until 06. You have relays and fuses.
  7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

You guys think this is something that can be tracked down with a test light (I only have basic auto electrical skills). I am just stumped on how both high beams on the plow will work, but I can't get both on the truck to work. I was just hoping it would be as simple as testing the wires from the headlight back till I find some current.

I was under the impression that all 03 and up 2500's had the new computerized headlights, If not, then I will start at the fuses and relays.

Thanks for everything so far. If anyone has anything to add, please keep it coming.
  8. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well I finally figured it out. The problem is with the harness (surprise). After unplugging it, the truck just needed a couple of minutes to clear the lamp out light.

When using a test light on the stock wires, the light pulsates. After plugging in the harness, the current will still pulsate on the passenger side, but is steady on the drivers side. So I presume its the relay on the harness causing this "change" in the current that tells the truck something is messed up.

It doesn't bother me enough to invest in a new harness, so I just unplugged the drivers side and will plug it back in when winter rolls around. Since both plow high beams work, I can handle one high beam on the truck for the winter.

Also, as a note. I could not find a fuse for my headlights. I looked at the fuse block under the hood...it had everything else (fog, tail, etc) but no headlights. So I guess I have to assume the headlights are computer controlled.