1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Power-V XT Adjustment Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Buck331, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Buck331

Buck331 Member

New Boss Power-V XT 8'-2" just installed on a 2009 Ford F-250 V-10, and (New Set Optional Plow Wings ordered arriving soon).

Question #1: When plow blades are both fully retracted and plow is in the "Full-V" position fully lowered to the ground - The Right and Left ends of the plow are touching the ground and the center "V" is approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch OFF the level paved test ground surface. (Also tested on several different level ground surfaces with same results).

When plow blades are both fully extended - The center of the plow is touching the ground and the Right and Left ends of the plow are now 1/2 - 3/4 inch OFF the ground.

A "new school" kid that installed the plow tells me "That's the way they (Boss) want's them now, they want it off the ground a little bit..., less hazardous if the tip plow collides with a blunt object".

It appears to me that The "Pushbeam" needs to be raised and therefore the plow should rest level. But what the hell I'm just a mid 50's something year old (old guy) that just spent $5000+.

Question #2: When I first picked up my rig after install the plow lowered just like the one in this attached video clip attached: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRdyc-spEf8
    (Note: This is not my truck just an unrelated video for demonstration)

Wow does that thing ever SLAM-BAM! The "new school" kid and I had a brief discussion about The Flow Control Valve adjustment to "desired drop speed". Please correct me if I'm wrong..., but my plowing services do not require that speedy of a drop speed.

Here's the deal, the dealer is a good friend of mine and I have not yet discussed it with him because I kind of want "New School Boy" to learn a lesson based on the "That's the way they (Boss) want's them now, they want it off the ground a little bit" comment.

I am looking for opinions on how you guys would handle "New School Kid". He's a pretty good kid with lots of drive, ambition, and good work ethic with a bright future. Just a little "prematurely professional" at the mouth in my opinion.

Should I FUN with him a little, or just fully extend the blades and point out that 1/2 - 3/4 inch space.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well if the push beam is at 15.5 then the kid did the job right (sorta).....You would then have to make the micro adjustments with the shoe to make it sit level......Here are the instructions http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=88814

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Also, the kid is probably making excuses for a problem he doesn't know how to fix. Sounds like a good worker, which can be rare now days...point out the problem (and solution) to him and let him learn from it.......I am sure he will be very grateful in the end.

4. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks again to B&B for that tip.
    The guy makes this website what it is.
    A Great Site!

5. Buck331

Buck331 Member

Thank You To: bltb203, nate456789, and B&B.

Nowhere in the instruction / installation manual is there any mention of the plow adjustment via the bumper stop bolt.

I burned copies of bltb203's link to B&B's above attached link and showed it to the kid without saying a word. We took a minute to first detach plow and verify 15.5" push-bar height, and it was right on. Adjusted bumper stop forward one hole, and results were PERFECT. Left copy of B&B's Instruction Link with the kid.

He called to thank me this afternoon (09/24/2010) and stated he's since made adjustments on 6 or 7 customer (Boss V) plows, several of which were installed by other dealers.

There are many installers and power-v owners unaware of this easy adjustment to facilitate level blade procedure (including myself). You guy's spurred many a conversation regarding numerous previous inappropriate adjustments of push-bars! The kid's a local celebrity now, and will soon be joining PlowSite!

Thank's Much Guy's!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yea, I am truly stunned why Boss decided that adjustment shouldn't be included in the manual. Glad it all worked out.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because it's the installer/dealers job to correctly set the adjustment as it can be a somewhat dangerous procedure for an unknowing owner to make that isn't familiar with the procedure.

8. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

sounds to me that kids is just a "plow hanger" not an installer mine sits flush on flat ground mine does move quick also