1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss poly V 8.2 cutting edge wearing uneven?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowbelt5, Jan 24, 2011.

1. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or know why i am having this problem with my plow. My drivers side cutting edge is wearing almost twice as fast as my passenger side. I only have about 3/4" of cutting edge left on the passenger side, were i have almost 2" left on the passenger side. I have looked over the plow faily well and i couldnt see anythins wrong. The only thing i will mention is on my truck (2003 F350 superduty) the drivers side leaf spring is sagging more than the passenger side. i took a measurement from the ground up to the fender well and its about a 1/2" lower.

It still scapes perfect just gets expensive replacing $500 cutting edges!

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Could also be a bent A-frame on the plow itself. I've changed a few of these out before. Its not a hard project, but its fun. Typically its a bent A-frame not a truck side issue. It wont be a bad idea to check and make sure all your bolts are tight on the mount itself. But again, you would notice something is wrong when you lift the plow is it was a truck side issue.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

That 1/2 inch difference is the problem most likely. More weight being transfered to the plow on the one side.

4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

not sure if you do this....but I have seen if guys plow like a straight blade with it angled say, to the right the edges will wear unevenly

5. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

when i think about it, i guess i do plow more with the blade angled to the left than the right, but not that much. Maybe will will replace my leaf springs on my truck this summer and see if that is it. Anyone else have any input?

6. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

My 9-2 poly V does that. I moved both wings to straight position, got off to one side and looked it over. Found one side is bent back at the bottom edge. Sort propellored more than the even wearing wing cutting edge. Going to take the backhoe in curl mode, and try to straighten it when I put new cutting edges on.

7. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

so your sayin you had a bent wing? I will take some measuements and look it over tomarrow and see if its bent.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Bent wing isn't out of the question either. My old poly had a bent wing at the bottom. Sort of like if you went up against a curb with it and went forward. It wasn't noticable until you looked really really close at it.

9. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Where are you getting edges for $500... They should be closer to the $300 mark...

10. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

well my local dealer quoted me $222.00 a side, so thats $444.00 plus tax which is $470.64. I call that $500.00. Please let me know where you can get them for $300.00. That would save me alot of money. sounds like my dealer is steep on his prices!

11. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

384 and some change up in Scottville for 8.2's,404 for 9.2's. I've noticed on a 8.2 poly doing the same.But this one is wearing much faster on the passenger side. Is this something that the poly's are known for ? I've not noticed this on a steel 9.2 I run?

12. HEStufrthnnails

Does anyone want to trade a 8.2 poly for 8.2 steel ? Lol

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter whether it's a Boss, Hiniker, Snoway, Curtis, steel, poly, Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota or a Smart car :D, severe uneven side to side cutting edge wear is only caused by one thing, something isn't setting level to the ground. Whether it's the plow or the truck can be determined with a good eye, a tape measure and some accurate measurements.

14. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

The Boss dealer here has 8.2 cutting edges with curb guards, so I guess the new style for under $300 OTD. I would question why your dealer has them for $500 bucks... My dealer is Chambana sales in Champaign, IL if you want to call them and see if they would ship you some when the time comes. Either way, hope you figure out the un even wearing! Good luck!

15. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

I lookded at my plow and the only thing bent that i can see is that steel support that runs at a 45 degree angle from top to bottom of plow. And its very minimal, but it is bent slightly.. I really dont even know were to look to see if my wing is bent.

16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

A 1 1/2" wear difference from side to side on any cutting edge means something is out of level - could be bent or truck could be off. Small but costly wear differences like this tend to go unnoticed until your edge wears out.

Check the truck: Park the truck on level ground and measure from the ground up to some point where the plow mounts. It should be dang near the same for both sides. Don't measure to fenders as the body itself could be jacked. The plow mount is what you need to measure. Hint, unless you have a suspension issue, this isn't where the problem is, at least for Boss plows unless you had bolts come loose.

Check the plow: This isn't exact, but it'll get you close. Straighten the blade out like you are pushing straight forward. Click the plow up until it just comes off the ground a foot or so. Now the Boss plows will rock back and forth so you need to get it close to centered then measure from the TOP of the cutting edge to the ground at the tips of the plow.

If your edge is wearing extermely uneven, you'll see it when checking the plow.

If the plow is wacked and the truck is good, (Boss plows) you can take the A Frame out and clamp it to a bench, stick a 1"x8' piece of straight conduit thru the hinge pin and measure that to the ground at the ends - odds are you'll see about the same difference that you see in cutting edge wear.

We've had A frames racked bad that were replaced right then and there, and we've had them tweaked enough that we didn't catch it until the cutting edge wore out. The tweaked one was from a good hit on a man hole cover and everything seemed fine - until we took it apart and measured it - we cut it apart and rewelded it and no problems.

17. HEStufrthnnails

Thanks,For the good advice.