1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Poly Straight Blade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by zach5187, Dec 17, 2007.

1. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

Does anybody have a 7' 6" Boss Poly Straight Blade? If so how do you like it pros, cons? Is it built as well the the bigger boss's? I was reading the specifications for them on boss and they only weigh 650ish! I dont see why it would be a problem to put one of these on a 2005 supercab f150 shortbed 5.4? I am in between this or a western midweight? Whats your opinion?
  2. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

7' 6" standard duty poly straight blade was the exact blade and it only weighs 608 lbs to be exact
  3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Depends on if the dealer is local, dont want to have to travel to far for parts when **** happens.. try looking at Sno-Way also theres pros and cons for all blades $$$$ is the key
  4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well, I have an 8 footer. This is my first season with it and I love it. Snow doesn't stick to it and it can take a beating. I would highly suggest going with the BOSS.
  5. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

Here is my delama! I am located in omaha nebraska! The boss is 4300 and the western 7.5' poly midweight blade is 3200 both prices are for everything uninstalled i am a mechanic and plan on installing it myself! I cant see where a thousand dollar difference is coming in play here! They are the exact same thing! Are they not?????
  6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I have exactly what your talking about, truck and plow, and it works out nice.

Just make sure you use some sort of ballast. I have about 800lbs of salt in the bed to help even it out.
  7. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

8. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

VBIGFORD20 how much did you pay for everything i called today and they wanted 4200.00 Uninstalled! Is that about right? The western is about 1k dollars less WHY???
  9. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

I got a 7'6" poly boss out of IL for $3,300 unistalled with mount and wireharness brand new. As far as quality... boss is the best... between the 7'6" poly and 7'6" steel. The steel weighs less. But the poly has extra brasing so if you would side plates on it you need to go with the poly. I tried side plates for steel and didn't reinforce it and bent a couple things. If you don't care about the side plates then get the steel. They both have there pros and cons. And for an f-150.... would think twice about putting a poly blade on it. It will be just fine.
  10. 7.5

I bought my 7.5 std in 1999
    The biggest changes I made was adding a 4th spring and a shock.
    The board height is a few inches lower than the bigger blades, but that
    hasnt been a problem.

My prior plow was a western 8ft and a bigger truck.
    I dont notice any difference in what I can move.

I dont do many open areas and have often been glad to be able to 'fit' in smaller areas.

Do regular maint and the stnd plow will last (another 8 yrs).
  11. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I paid about $3800 installed for mine. I have a good relationship with my dealer so he knocked $300 off the normal asking price. $4200 is what most places around here told me, some told me more then that with install.

Why is the Boss 1K more, well I'd say because its worth it. Are you comparing a western homesteader to a boss or what?

I looked at a ton of plows before going Boss. I had a Meyer on the old truck and those are so stuck in the 70s its not funny. The boss is the boss for a reason, one touch up and one touch float, fast control, easy to put on and take off, the carriage does not stick out or down that far. I'm sold on Boss plows.
  12. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

What mount are you using on your f150 20?
  13. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I own both a Western and a Boss poly and no they are not the same exact, i am much more pleased with the Boss due to the quick movement of the plow and the stacking ability.don't get me wrong Western makes good plows if it wasn't for the Boss plow coming with the truck i would have never know how good they are built.
  14. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Just the normal smarthitch. Im sure the Smarthitch II is nice but this is simple, just lock it and push up on the light bar and its in place. If I had a V I'd want the SH II but for a straight blade this works just fine.
  15. bstout

bstout Member

You don't get what you don't pay for. The Boss is a better blade. At least 1K better!
  16. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

Okay Thank You everyone! I have decided to go with the BOSS!:waving: