1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CARDOCTOR, Aug 28, 2003.

1. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i looked at a used boss plow

i own 3 meyers

what should i look for

any weaknesses

dont know much a bout them

putting on 98
    dodge 3/4

cardoctor:dizzy: :dizzy:

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

If I were you I would stick with meyers so you can change parts and the ease to work on when they do break.But I have heard alot of good things about boss plows .Is the boss the one that KenP had?You want at least a 8' plow for the dodge 2500 .

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't mean to be wise, but could you try and do a search? I am pretty sure that there are some opinions discussed about Boss plows.

I saw some Boss plows last year at the BBQ, and in my opinion they seems to be well constructed plow with some nice features, like the effortless mounting system. I did heard some weakness about Boss V plows, but other than that, they seems to be good plows.

4. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I've been a die hard meyers user since 1981 until I bought a used truck with a boss plow,we have now pretty much converted all the trucks to boss plows,using the 8' straight & 8.2'power v on the 3/4 tons,the 9.2' power v's on the 1 tons & the 10'power v on the 2 tons.yes the old wifes tale of using meyers & western because parts are available just about anywhere(and a darn good thing too!) the boss plows have not let us down,zero hydraulic troubles,we do prefer the joystick control,the v blades will crack cutting edges if you hit something hard enough in the scoop position due to the plow not tripping in the v or scoop position,other than breaking trip springs no problems,they are well constructed & will add more weight to the front of your truck so some suspension majic may be required.the v's just save so much time plowing gas stations & daytime plowing of lots were windrows are undesirable.go to thier websight they will provide you with a video & info on all thier products.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike Nelson has a few Boss plows and could help you out too. He doesn't come around as often this time of year, try to PM him.

6. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Make sure you have Smart Lock cylinders if you get a V plow.

The smart lock cylinders will work better to keep the plow straight while back-dragging.

Rick

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I for one am not impresed with their smart hitch mounting system, it took me and Andy 10 minnutes to mount his 7'6" strait blade.... wheres the 30 seconds:rolleyes: I have my meyer on in about 1 minnute:D

8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Big Nate

You must be doing something wrong or something is bent because anyone with it set-up right it's 30 sec. or less :rolleyes:

Mine BOSS is setup on dollies & it takes 15 sec. :waving: 2 plugs & flip a switch and your done ;) it can't get any easier ;) Also there is no lifting,pins,chains,ect. BTW - I've seen a friends's 12-yr. old hook it up in less than 30 sec.

I ran Meyers for over 20 yrs. & yes 1 min. to put on a Meyers too but a BOSS SmartHitch II is alot faster & 100 times easier.

With any plow on dollies you don't have to line it up, just push the plow into place.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Smartlock cylinders are a must on a Boss V.Useless without them.

The Smarthitch system is very easy to use.My 3 year old could hook it up.If it's taking too long,then something isn't right.

They have very fast and reliable hydraulics.The only thing I don't like is the sharp edges on the rocker switch if you have the joystick.It will start to eat skin if your out for a long time.

Also,with no lift chain,they don't bounce around very much during transport.

10. bgrover

bgrover Member

I have a Boss 7.5' trip-edge and love it. It mounts quickly, even in the dark. The longest it took me to mount was 10 min the 1st time I had to do it by myself.

To steal a phrase, "and now the rest of the story.."

See I bought my plow in Jan. 2002 and mother nature decided to stop snowing for the rest of the season. So I took my plow off and left it sitting in my driveway (asphalt millings) until November when they called for a storm. So I went out to hook it up. It took a couple of minutes by myself to get lined up properly. Then the pins that drop in the lower hooks on the mount (if you see one you know what I mean) wouldn't mate up with the openings. They were about 1" too low! It seems the leg stand in the back had sunk into the drive way! :eek:

So I spent the next couple of minute scratching my head about what to do before I realized I needed to jack the back of the plow up. So I had to rummage in the garage and find my jack and jack the back of the plow up.

Once I did that the plow slipped right in and mounted in seconds. Now I just carry a small jack with me, just in case.

11. Foz

Foz Senior Member

:realmad: I wouldn't buy a Boss plow for $0.01, Western plows are much better...just speaking of teh Vee plows, but the trip mechanism is junk on Boss!

12. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I only have owned Boss so I can't compare or say anything bad about the others but I also can't say anything bad about Boss. I loved mine and never had a single problem for the three years that I owned it. I just sold it as I sold the pickup but I am going to buy a new one this September for my new dump and won't hesitate to buy another Boss. I would rather stick with them then experiment. Good luck. Also just wanted to say hello to everyone I haven't been on the site since the end of April, been cutting grass with all this rain. I am starting to get the plowing fever so I figured I would start checking up on the site again.
    :waving:
    :drinkup: