1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plows Whats the deal??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mackman, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

So whats the deal with Boss plows?? I never used or owned one. But so many people are talking them up. I'm loyal to my fisher but i feel I'm missing out on something here. I used to never see boss around here up to about 5 years ago. Now it seems like everyone runs them. They are catching on like wildfire.

To all you boss owners can you please tell me what you like about the boss over say a fisher or western etc etc. I never seen or heard 1 thing bad about the boss.:confused:
  2. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

1. Production with a V plow.
    2. Construction of the plow
    3. Durability
    4. Fit and finish
    5. Ease of operation
    6. On in minutes, and off in seconds
    7. It says The Boss on it, JK

I was loyal to Western St8 blades for yeas and still have 4 but the first Boss V I bought sold me. I could get lots done quicker, put snow where I wanted to, and manuver around obstacles easier.

It is all operator preferance but I and my guys like them over the Westerns. I cannot coment on other brands as I have not used them but I am sold on the Boss. If you can try one out the V is not for everyone but since we do alot off high traffic areas I can scoop the slush out of pedestrian traffic and leave a clean area. We also plow alot of townhomes and when clearing isles it's nice to keep the snow from rolling into cars etc. You could get the same effect using wings but I like the fact that the plow slims up for travel.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I used to run fishers, and I was very unhappy with my MM1. The mounting system was really unimpressive, the hydros are very slow, hydro systems are exposed, engineering of the whole system that mount the moldboard to the frame is just unimpressive, control system was not as intuitive back then as the Boss was.

Pretty much I wasn't impressed and I knew there must be a better option out there. So I researched and viewed all the different brands. Not from a "this is what I like because it just like it" view, but from a literal view with a reason for every single one of my thoughts.

The boss had the fastest hydraulics, by far the best mounting system hands down, the engineering and design of the plow frame and moldboard structure was far superior, I felt the finish on the plow was far superior to any other brand out there, and the headlights were much better, at least they were before fisher came out with their new model of headlights I've never used those so I can't comment.

On my Boss V however there are a couple things I can gripe about. One being the little piece of rubber that adjusts the angle. First they had them with the long single slot that would always slide back and mess up the angle of the plow, then they came out with the one with the individual holes which was a much better idea, but it would always break the bolts off in the A frame. I have no idea why they didn't make the bolt a large, thick, stainless bolt that goes through the entire A frame and has a nut and lock washer on the bottom. Another thing I don't like is the new headlights. The little covers that go over the headlights kept falling off and there is not a good way to take the headlight lens off to fix it without breaking the seal.

Other than those 2 things I love the Boss plows and won't go back. You can even see me on their website talking about how much I like their plows!

One other thing is I would like to see Boss offer a stainless model. I'm not talking about the "X blade stainless" because I mean realistically it wouldn't really make any difference because if the moldboard doesn't rot the painted frame behind it will... So I have never understood what the hype behind the "X blade" is. I'm talking about a 100% stainless model. Everything on it stainless. The bolts, frame, mount, moldboard, everything. (except the cutting edge) I'd pay an extra 2500 for that any day. I guess I understand why they don't have it though, no one would need to buy new plows! They would just go truck to truck.

But I guess that is a topic for another thread.

Just look at the plow Boss is making today and it will be the same plow Fisher will be making in 5 years.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

alot of people like boss' faster hydraulic system over fisher etc. but other than that a vee plow is a vee plow. my next plow will most likely be yellow if i stay in commercial pushing and probably be an xls . expandable wing plows are the future of commercial pushing, in 2 years with my 9.2 v ive never once had to use it in vee at all .
  5. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Mountaing is quick and easy, dismount is even easier. All of the hydraulics are contained in the upright and have shields to protect them. I think they are quite easy to work on as well. The plows are fast, the V is awesome and there is no chain! I work for a company that runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 Boss' plows and all the operators seem to love them, and the mechanic seems to think they are pretty easy to work on them. Plus we have great dealer support so that helps things too. They may cost a bit more than the rest of the plow rainbow, but they sure are worth it IMO.
  6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

dosent fisher use chains,
    smart hitch 2 is awsome, smart touch is nice, smart light 2 is realy nice,
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Once you get the V ,you can't go back!
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming your talking about the little piece of plastic that is in front of the bulb. You can use needle nose plier's through the bulb hole and then put a screw in through the bottom on one side or the other and it will never come out again.
  10. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe i should have looked into them more. I just wrote them off right away cuz I'm loyal to fisher. Had a 14year old speedcast that never let me down not once. So i hope the new fisher is the same. We will see.

BTW even that guy at the plow dealer try to talk me into the boss over the fisher. He is a dealer of both. But i told him I'm fisher 100% and he gave up on tryin to sell me a boss. My uncle has a boss going to see if we can swamp trucks for a 1/2 hour in a middle of a storm so i can see what the boss is all about 1st hand.
  11. Mackman

from S.E. PA

12. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Borrowing your uncles Boss for a half hour might be ok, but I think long-term is where the Boss seems to be the ticket.

.Ask your dealer the reason he recommended the Boss over the Fisher. Im guessing its the long term track record of the Boss, He sees first hand any problems from either brand..... Boss probably has less overall problems and repair?
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's good to keep an open mind. I didn't do my homework when I bought my plow two years ago. It might not have done much good in all honesty, I was pretty well set on Fisher, and local support for Boss is not great. After learning a bunch, most of it here, I will not buy yellow next time......
  14. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Haven't really used anything other than boss plows. So far with my plow being 14 months old the only issue that I have had is a bad pin in the connector and a recall on the head lights which should be taken care of this week.

Probably 250+ hours of plowing.
  15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i learned to plow on a myer on my uncles '93 chevy 1/2 ton. every storm like clockwork somthing broke..every season we basicly rebuilt the thing.

when it came time to get my plow, a close family friend who owns the boss dealer here said he would set us up with a good deal..which he did on a new boss 7'6". that was in 2001, since then we have changed the fluid and kept eveything tight and had no issues. i've replaced one plug an one solenoid this last season which after almost 9 years i dont think is uncommon.

i now work for that family friend and build boss plows every day, we have removed countless fisher,myer,western mounts/wiring and installed a boss plow. they run very well, very quick and honestly seem to hold up very well. most of the issues i've seen come in were due to the install on the truck not many real plow issues in the year 1/2 i've worked there.
  16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Thanks, I'll do that. My mechanic used the needle nose to put them back in place, but we never thought of putting a screw in to hold it.
  17. 91AK250

yeah i've done polly 100 sets of headlight caps, we have a TSB out on it and it isnt a huge deal just takes a few mins to throw a screw in. i really like the new style lights VS the old ones..much better set-up.
  18. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Mine failed and now bounced around in the headlight for 15 hours of plowing which scratched up the housing and lense pretty bad. Dealer ordered complete new lights today, hoping to have them on Wednesday.:nod:
  19. 91AK250

yeah, it happends we've had a few come in like that. all the new ones come with a screw allready in them. but we got a TSB from boss about..7 months ago? or so telling us to put the screw in any plow that comes in so thats what we have done. so far no issues after the screw install.
  20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't they refab them differently to prevent the problem...