1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plows vs Blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJSNOW, Dec 23, 2004.

1. NJSNOW

NJSNOW Junior Member

Im looking for a plow for a 1990 Dodge Ram Charger. Ive seen the Boss 7 1/2 foot but I'm leaning towards the Blizzard 760LT. I dont have alot of exposure to either system, so I was wondering if anyone had any info for me or personal experiences with either plow. thanks NJSNOW

2. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I can't speak for the Blizzard however, I can speak for Boss. I bought a 7 1/2 super duty and I love it. It mounts and dismounts so easy. I like the fact that when I take off my plow the light tower comes off with the plow. I believe the Blizzard you have to take off the tower separately. You will probably get a lot of different opinions. From what I have read they are both very good plows. I've read a lot of post on the Blizzard finish, it seems to scratch off fairly easy. I'm sure which ever one you buy you will be happy. What kind of truck are you putting it on? Well good luck, I have a 1/2 ton Chevy and I added some timbrens and my truck seems to handle it very well. Breck :waving:

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Ditto on what Breck said. Except I have the Blizzard 760LT. I like it so far. I do like the fact Boss's light tower comes off with the plow, but it only takes about 1 minute to pull off my tower. But it is an extra step. The plow mounts very easily and quickly, same with dismount. Don't know about the paint though, mine is still pretty new and no problems with the decals or paint yet. But like Breck says, I don't think you can go wrong with either plow...both do the job quite well.

Buck

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your comparing two companies that manufacture multi-position plows as their bread and butter, only your asking about their straight blades. If your comparing straight blades, you can delve deeper and research many different brands, even used plows. I'm not saying these two aren't any good (quite possibly two of the best plows out there), but if your comparing STRAIGHT blades, you may want to also look into Western, Meyer, and Fisher.

I'd go with whoever is your closest dealer, as know matter what happens,...you WILL be back there for something withen the first month of ownership.

Good luck on your decision.

5. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

What county are ya in.....nice user name bud.

Jeff

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I'd have to disagree about going to the dealer that's closest. Your closest dealer might not have the best SERVICE. This, in my opinion, is what you really are looking for. You want to know when something goes wrong they have time to fix it that day, not tomorrow, not the next. That, IMO, will go farther than saving mileage on your truck and your time driving the extra hour, or whatever time. Just my two cents.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, by all means...if there is a lousy dealer, don't go to them. I thought that would be a no-brainer.

All I was saying is that if he has a GOOD local dealer, regardless of brand, to lean towards them. As most of todays smaller straight blades are all pretty good.

8. butters

butters Member

I think that from what I have seen they are both great plows. Boss plows are very popular where I am from. That said I bought a Blizzard 760LT. It was far and away less expensive than anything else. The Boss was over $1000 more. The only plow that came close was a 7 1/2 foot Hiniker for $3150. Anyway, I like my Blizzard. I have plowed my drive (1500 ft) 5 times since Monday and my Grandmas drive twice already. Weve been getting a lot of snow.
    The other factor for me was the light weight of the Blizzard. Less wear and tear on my truck. It was really a no-brainer for me. I paid $2718.90 out the door for my Blizzard and withthe low price and the light weight, that sealed the deal for me. As for the paint/finish issue, I have yet to see a plow going down the road that isn't scratched up and has the stickers peeling off. I read in post a while back that Blizzard did have paint problems at one time. I believe they changed paint formulas or something the remedy that. You might do a search on this site for that.

The Boss does have a 2 year warranty while the Blizzard is only 1 year. That didn't concern me at all. The dealer I bought from said that he has never had one come back.

As for the light tower, it literally only takes a minute to take it off. I actually like that design since I can store it separately and not have it in the way on the plow sitting in my garage in the off season. As for the mounting and dismounting of the plow itself, all new plows are fairly easy to take on and off. It is just a matter of getting used to the system. It is pretty easy to do on either of these plows.

Whatever you decide they are both great plows. I let me wallet make my decision and that is the biggest reason I bought the Bllizzard. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  9. Mrplowguy

Mrplowguy Junior Member

You will be very happy with the blizzard. I would go with the dealer thats closer to you just incase. If you go with the blizzard you could spend or save that $1000 somewhere else.