1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plows site says no to '03 6 Ltr Ford, ANYONE KNOW WHY???????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jack Manning, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Jack Manning

Jack Manning Junior Member
    from NJ

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A PLOW FOR MY 2003, F-250, SUPER CAB W/SHORT BED AND 6 LITER PSD. BOSS PLOWS INDICATES FORD DOES NOT RECOMMEND USING A PLOW WITH THE DIESEL. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A REASON NOT TO?? I INTEND TO USE THE P/U FOR DRIVEWAYS AND LITE COMMERCIAL WORK.

ANY RECOMENDATIONS? BOSS? SNOWAY? WESTERN?
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?????????
    JACK

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Most plow makers do not recommend putting a large plow on the front end of the extended cab diesels, because of the added weight of the diesel package and the seating capacity of the truck.

They have to figure that you are going to hang a 950# plow off the front end and have 5 of your 200# buddies riding in the cab with you which will overload the front axle rating.

I have an 01 F350 PSD extended cab with a 8.5' western V plow on it.
    I added a leaf to the front to bring it up 2.5"
    I never had any problems with this setup.
    And man do I love that diesel for plowing.

3. Jack Manning

from NJ

Thanks for your feedback. How does your truck ride with the extra leaf? What do you think of Timbrens ? Did you add gauges ?

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The ride did not change much, it is a F350 diesel after all.

It's allot better than my old 86 F350 with the springy seat in it.
    Don't wear a baseball cap in that one when plowing hurts like hell when you hit the ceiling.

I have seen the timberens installed on smaller trucks like F150's, and Chevy 1500's.
    It seems like a good idea on smaller trucks like those that have the softer ride.

But the extra leaf adds 850# capacity (if I remember correctly) to the front end.
    Of course the axle rating remains the same but I feel better about not overloading the stock springs, or having to worry about wearing them out prematurely.

No gages yet. You wont need them unless you alter the mixture with a programmer.

The super chip can really wake up the old 7.3 PSD.
    I think they make one for the 6.0 now.

5. Jack Manning

from NJ

Thanks again, for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I know what you're talking about with the older 350's. They are like riding on the railroad before they put the tracks down.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I added a set of Timbrens, they worked just as well, alittle bumpier ride but I can live with it.

7. Jack Manning

from NJ

Thanks for your info on the Timbrens. :) jack

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

If you have the 5200 rating front end your fine . we are going to get the 8-10 blizzard.

9. BigBlu250

BigBlu250 Junior Member